• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Owl in a dust storm.

I took this one last Saturday when the owl landed on a tree with the moon in the background I set my apeture to 32, which is the highest it goes in AV mode. The goal was to get the moon and owl in focus. I have a 30D with a canon 100-400mm lens on it. The shot details are tv 1/13, av 32 at 285mm. I know what I was trying to do may be a little beyond my equipment and I didn't expect much, especially since this was hand held with me braced against a tree. Where did all this dust come from? I am thinking it must be on the end of the lens and not the sensor. When I shoot in my normal range of 5.6-8 av I have never noticed any dust at all. I guess I was a bit surprised by it.

3353057615_c323b7cb0c_o.jpg

I would say it's mostly on your sensor. You will notice it more with a smaller aperture and with a uniform background like this. Pretty nasty isn't it. Mine isn't too nice either. I have to get it cleaned.

Cool photo. The stabilization on that lens must really help. There is no way I could get anything close to a sharp image with my 400 5.6 hand held at 1/13 sec. I think I would have taken two exposures and put them together as a composite to make this image, but there's something to be said for doing it without "cheating."

Sensor dust, that is the best way to check for it. I use f22 or so pointed at a blue sky and take a shot, doesn't need to be in focus. A little levels adjustment will also show you how much you've accumulated at lower f stops. No matter how well you try and how careful you are you will get dust on your sensor. Unless you have a newer camera with the sensor clean automatically if you turn your camera on or off.

My cameras rarely come off of f2.8 or lower so I never see the dust either, until I stop down to check like you did.