• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for advice on a new printer.

I have been shopping for a printer that will do prints larger than 8x10. I have been eyeing the canon 9000 or 9500. ANyone have any pros cons or suggestions. THey start at $400.00 and go up. I want the abiltiy to print on fine art paper and do 11x14 minimum prints.

My suggestion would be to upload your prints to White House Custom color and let them do the printing. You'd get professional results and it would probably cost less in the long run.

Sorry, that's probably not the advice you were looking for.

Paul, I can't help you with specific printer advice.

I can tell you that, when my time is factored in, I actually save money by using WHCC for my printing. I maintain my own 8x10 printer for those times when I need a print in big hurry or want to print a couple greeting cards.

That being said, there's something a bit like holding a newborn in your hands when a print you've worked very hard on and has a lot of subtleties slides out of the printer right there on the top of your desk. smilesmile

One of the main reasons I am looking to buy a quality printer is the fact that with my photograpny club I produce 8 11x14 images for competiion each month. At about $25.00/month for 9 months a year, that is $225 a year. Printer paid for in 2 years. I currently am paying $3.00 a print for each 111x14 and am not really crazy about the quailty I get out of Sams Club's lousy printer. (but they are the cheapest in town for large prints). Whcc is about 4.50 per 11x14. An extra 1.5 is probably not bad but at $36.00/month or $324.00 per year that is one year and printer paid for not factoring in paper costs.

I am guessing a toss up either way but nothing better than as Steve said "A Newborn in your hands"

Factoring in paper costs is part of it. Ink costs a lot, too. There also are maintenance tasks that you'll have to perform periodically with the printer.

But given what your needs are, Paul, it might make more sense for you to do your own printing. In the end, given the low volume, the costs probably will be about even or tip slightly in your favor if you do, and you'll get a real sense of control over your art that sometimes is lost when some nameless entity does your printing.

I suspect once you have a printer, however, you'll be very tempted to make more prints than you've been. There's just something inherently rewarding in composing a photograph, coming home, downloading and toning it and consummating the whole fine art process with the actual print. So keep in mind that'll raise your costs some.

After putting all the numbers to it, I am almost now inclinded to scrap the idea of buying a big printer. I think maybe I should spend my money on a macro lense instead. LOL. After doing a lot of investigating such as paper and such it will ending up costing me more per print doing it at home than through my whcc account. My work is closed today due to an intense blizzard and no traffic is advised in city limits either so we all stayed home today. that means 8 hours of evil bay. smile

Looks like you've just advised yourself on that one, my friend. smilesmile

Canon's 100 f2.8 macro is, IMO, one of the company's best values for the dollar. Tack sharp, very fast focus speed and mid focal-length range make it not only a great macro but a fine portrait and action sports lens as well, in some situations. Since it's not an L lens, Canon does not include a tripod ring and hood. Those add-ons cost about another $200. I got both because I do so much flower work with the lens that I wanted the increased balance of mounting the lens, rather than the body, on the tripod, and I won't own a lens without a hood.

That being said, Tamron makes a 90 f2.8 macro for a bit less money than the Canon, and it is every bit as sharp. Hood is included, too, and there's a manufacturer's rebate worth $60 running on that lens, which brings it to about $375 or less.

Canoga is out of stock on the Tamron, but B&H has them, and for less than Canoga, in case your trigger finger is itching. gringrin

Paul,

I have the Canon 9000 printer and it will do up to 13 x 19 sized prints and is a seriously nice printer! I also have an account at WHCC where most of my work goes into and is shipped out of. However, there is a price to be paid for convenience and having something right now vs waiting a few days. I guess you just have to figure out if $400.00 is too much for you or not.

I have a Canon 9000 printer and it is capable of making incredible prints. The down side is the cost of the ink, and the printer uses it like crazy. To keep the cost down I do all my test prints on for 4X6 paper and then switch to a larger format (same brand of paper). This helps cut down on the ink used.

I have the Epson 1400, it does great and will do up to 13x19. It's only $239 now from B&H. Other printers are faster, but for me it doesn't really matter if it takes 3 minutes or 4 for a large print, I've got time.

I do small test prints like Yellowhead to get the color right before doing the large prints. It's probably cheaper to send the image off somewhere to get printed, but there is a lot of convenience in doing it at home, and I just plain like doing my own prints.