• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking at adding a Kicker

Lindy Lee

I am looking at adding a 9.9 kicker to my 1850 Tyee. I have a Evinrude main motor but am looking at either a Yamaha or Suzuki for the kicker as it maybe something I might want to move to the next boat. Has anyone had any problems with either. Also looking at adding the Panther remote steer and possibly the Troll Master controls. Thanks for the help.

how much do you use a kicker? I thought I used it a lot till I bought one. I may use it one time a year. I would not buy a kicker if not really needed. the only time I use mine is when I downrigg for lakers. I have a 1993 mercury 9.9 that probally has less than 50 hours on it, seroiusly. its been on my last two boats, and not yet have put it on my new boat.

its a great motor, and runs very quit. but do you really need it?

how much do you use a kicker? I thought I used it a lot till I bought one. I may use it one time a year. I would not buy a kicker if not really needed. the only time I use mine is when I downrigg for lakers. I have a 1993 mercury 9.9 that probally has less than 50 hours on it, seroiusly. its been on my last two boats, and not yet have put it on my new boat.

its a great motor, and runs very quit. but do you really need it?

In canada, or on any big body of water where you can be a long way out from any other boat, a kicker is good insurance that you can get off the water. Out there, it is a safety issue. I've been on fishing trips where we stay 17 miles out from where we put in, and plenty of big motors have martyred themselves for the granite gods. that kicker gets you home...

Steve

I have a Alumacraft Trophy 190 and installed a four stroke Yamaha 8hp T-8 last year with power tilt. This is by far the best small motor I have ever owned. GREAT gas mileage and pushes my boat very nicely. I have the controls right below my main ones. I would say that last summer I trolled a conservative 200 to 300 hours for walleye and muskies with no problems. Jake

I think as far as using a kicker i agree first on the piece of mind to get back in on big water

i bought a new boat last yr went to a wheel boat after being in a tiller for 20 yrs

man i was like a fish out of water

i didnt use the kicker much but really missed for precision backtrolling on ruff water

but the reason i didnt use it was i wasnt rigged right to sit back there and be comfortalbe

i'm fixing that this yr splash gaurds another base plate so i can sit comfortalbe and another locator back there

i have a t-8 it seem like an ok motor like i say last was the first year with it

but i did use pulling cranks and spinners just cuz gas was 4 bucks a gal vs the 150 e-tec a little easier on gas

all though that 150 e-tec trolls nice 2.5 foward on flat water

so guess if u put one on look at the reason your putting it on

for boat contol and fishing or just the safety factor

either is a good reason to have one