• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jumping Puppy?

Walleye Wegs

Most training books suggest that when they jump up, grab their feet and hold on until they start to whimper. They don't like being held up like that for long and they'll associate jumping with a 'non-fun' activity.

Another trick I've read is when they jump up, grab their feet and flip them over. Basically throw them on their backs. I never tried this and I'm not so sure of this tactic. It is best for a developing dogs to not strain their bones and muscles as dogs with possibilities of having displastic hips can result in a higher possibility if they are stressed while they are developing.

Good luck!

Although a little young yet, an electronic training collar will work wonders for jumping. Until then, stick out your knee and pop her in the chest when she jumps. It doesn't have to be very hard, but she'll soon realize jumping doesn't get the results she is after. My one year old yellow had the same problem. The hard part was that she never jumped on myself or my wife, just everyone else she encountered. This made it challenging to train her, if we were not around other people. Finally I got the e-collar when she was 6 mos. old and would ask my friends to stop by a couple times a week to help her get used to people stopping by and not jumping. I also would bring to places she likely would be around people. It took about 3-4 encounters with people and then it stopped.

I read an article in MN Sportsman about jumping dogs. The authors answer to the problem was to always train the dog to greet you in the sitting position. Everytime he comes up to you make him/her sit.

I've done this with my young dog and it works. I can see that she is getting ready to jump and I give her the hand signal and say sit.

I thought this technique taught the dog control at the same time. I think any of the ones mentioned would work.

Step on her hind toes when she jumps up. Dogs HATE to have there paws stepped on or even touched. She won't do it for long.
With bigger dogs, a knee to the chest as soon as they jump up works wonders .....(all in moderation of course.....I'm NOT saying STOMP on their toes or break their ribs with your knee....only use enough pressure to get the desired result)

A technique I've used for years and it solves it right away, pinch in where the dew claws were (or are) when they jump up. Continue to apply pressure all the way down till their paws hit the ground while giving the command "down". Do this 3-4 times and I bet you won't even be able to coax them to jump up.

Good Luck! Ken

Another thing to try would be to teach your dog the settle command. Whenever your dog is calm give the command settle. It has worked well for me when company comes over and at the vet.

French Spaniel: That idea works wonders for me. My pup just doesn't jump up on me ( as much ) anymore. She also knows the word down very well after a couple pops in the chest. The most annoying thing is that she continues to jump up on other people! She knows I don't like it but doesn't know that they don't like it. When people come over they always say " oh thats ok" when in fact its not ok and I know they don't appreciate it. The same thing happens at the dog park. I think this jumping thing is and has been my biggest training challenge yet. Down!

I hear ya Mayfly, and even when your dog runs to someone else and you tell them to come, and the person starts saying, "oh its o.k." here puppy puppy"

My dogs will obey me and know what they cant get away with, but they push my wife and kids around pretty easy, I tryan tell my wife what to do, but she just dont get it.
I think the dogs laugh at her inside, HEH!

Have a couple buddies show up each week on different nights. Tell them ahead of time what you want them to do when the dog jumps on them. They soon will quit jumping on other people as they don't know which people are "safe"... As far as family members, you gotta train them too! smile.gif Explain to them that their cooperation will go a long ways to make their dog a good citizen. Just think if they jump up on an old feable person and knocked them down to the ground... they wouldn't feel to good at that moment.

Good Luck! Labs

Wegs, lots of good advice here. One thing I have to add is that you should not give too much attention to her when she is jumping up. Just ignore and do the knee to the chest or pinch the paws or whatever then wait till she stays down before you give her any attention. I don't like the idea of a "down" command, because they shouldn't even be jumping up like that in the first place. My dog still jumps when overly excited, but never on strangers anymore.

I had the same problem with my Golden but after a little disipline she won't even jimp up when people tell her too. What you have to do is everytime the dog jumps up on you just knee her in the chest. it doesnt have to be hard but after two or three times of this you shouldn't even be able to tell her to jump up.

It isn't the training of the puppy but the training of the trainor. I know lots of people don't like to hear that but it is people that spoil or let the dog get away with things that they (the puppy) don't know is wrong in the first place.
I havn't posted on this forum very much as last Sept 26 (the day before moose huntin) my best friend died very unexpectedly. I have always had a labs (biased) and this one was only 10 and it broke our hearts to such an extent that we said NO MORE dogs. Well, U can all guess 5th May our puppy comes home. I, no we just can't go through another summer without a dog around the house. I have always look at not training the dog but training ME and others that come into contact with them. I sure have lots to learn and will be a constant viewer of is forum. This post on jumping has always been a thing to control I believe as litter mates they are always rough housing with each other and jumping all over each other. I personally have used the knee up not stricking out just up and the single word NO and then lots and lots of praise when they behaved.