• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Holders

jparrucci

I have a standard 14 foot aluminum boat that I want to put 2 rod holders in it, one on each side. I want one right in back by the tiller, the other one further towards the front and the other pedastal seat for the passanger. My boat has only the aluminum sides/gunnels, no carpet or flat spot up on top. Which style would work for this? I bought some super cheap 2 dollar ones, there was no way to make them work.

Action brand rod holders at fleet farm are great,(cheaper too!)If at all possible,use either stainless or aluminum hardware(no rust)and preferably use solid rivet to attach bases to gunnel's.If you can,debur the drilled holes to help keep them from forming cracks,especially if your drill bit is dull!c63

Just make sure you can get the holder into and out of the mount fiarly easily. They need to be able to spin all the way around with only being "lifted" a fraction of an inch. smile

Originally Posted By: BoxMN
Just make sure you can get the holder into and out of the mount fiarly easily. They need to be able to spin all the way around with only being "lifted" a fraction of an inch. smile

Sounds like you speak from experience eek

Yep blush and actually, make sure to put the rods you will using in them before drilling as well, to make sure buttends have clearance and can easily be pulled out when "fish on!" is called, hehe, I know that one from experience as well!!

Side mounts like shown in Raplh Wiggums photos are great. I've also had flush mounted rod holders but I like side mounts better. And I use extensions, which are really nice.

Also, there's some really good advice on here about making sure your rod holders have room to swivel and not hit anything with a rod butt sticking out of them, and tilt, and that you can get the rods in them, etc. Check them a couple times before you start drilling holes!