• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Steve, tried to PM

Hi Steve,

I tried to PM you but for some reason it's telling me that feature is disabled. Anyways, I stumbled across your 400 5.6 on another forum, but a day too late. I finally decided to buy one and I would have totally gone for yours knowing it comes from a good guy. So, are you moving up in the lens world? I can't imagine you not having a long lens in the line-up. I'm fairly convinced it's the right lens for my budget and goals, but seeing you sold yours I was wondering if you have any misgivings about it or if you're just looking for a new challenge.

Matt, the PM feature is not enabled on the site. If you want a private communication, just shoot me an e-mail. My addy is always below in my sig. smile

I have no reservations at all about the 400 f5.6L. It is a sweetheart of a tack sharp lens, and an excellent buy. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a birding/wildlife lens and does not need zoom flexibility but doesn't want to spend bazillions of dollars. Because it's a slow lens aperture wise and has no IS, I always recommend anyone buying a copy also pick up a sturdy monopod or shoot it from a tripod when the light isn't really nice.

I apologize for blowing your cover Steve. I'm sure you were trying to surprise everyone with a new lens--maybe break out a series of awesome pictures with just the new lens slipped in with the EXIF. grin

I didn't think to look for your email address, but I was thinking of your privacy when I tried to PM.

I will definitely be in the market for a monopod because I went ahead with the purchase today. A 400 5.6L is on the way-- my first adventure beyond the kit lens and old stuff. I can't wait to get out in the field with it.

Congrats, matt. You'll love that light sharp little sweetie! smilesmile

As for me getting a 500, I don't have $5,000-$6,000 laying around burning a hole in my pocket. Nor does my business depend in any way on owning supertelephoto capability. You guys must just be lens crazy or something. winkwink