• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best ski doo for trail riding?

kdawg

My brother's looking into a new(for him) sled. He's looking into a '03 or newer but he has never owned a sled before. I am a Polaris owner, but I know there are a lot of good brands out there. In fact, I'm doing the looking for him. What would be the best sled for him: 95% trail riding. He'll be riding with me,(600 xs sp Polaris) so, eventually, he'll be getting a little aggressive as his experience grows. I really think that 600cc will be as big as he'll be looking at as well. The main thing is a good, COMFORTABLE, reliable, trail-riding sled. One other note: I've been looking at the newer models and I've noticed that there is considerably less wind blockage due to less windshield and overall hood-mass. Does this make a big difference compared to older models as to how much wind is hitting the rider during 40+mph riding?

how's it going kdawg

might be gettin rid of mine not sure yet depends on how long it takes me to a job this spring

anyway its an 04 600 mxz

you might not want to get it for him cuz you would have a hard time keeping up lol...lol

and ya the windshield is lower on mine and i notied it

start wearing a neck band and really helped

i'm old but my days of below zero riding are pretty much done

unless i'm riding with a bunch of guys hittin it hard

the gf and i way to slow in that cold

but i really like my sled dont want to part with it really but a man has to do what you hafta

it would make a lot of boat payments

only has like 1200 miles on it its blk and yellow just looks fast

Depending on how much he is looking to spend an 2005+ Rev 600sdi (standard or Renegade) or the 500ss are going to be his best options. The SC-4 suspension was introduced in 2005 (don't remember if it was all models?) so I would make sure he gets that. On the standard models there are different version...like Adrenaline, Sport, X, XPS (don't remember which for which years). The X or XPS are going to be the sleds with the better shocks....which is definitely a plus.

Any of them will work fine for him however....so shop around for a good price.

As far as wind blockage there isn't much on the new XP models. The older version Revs can come with bigger windshields stock. They are ugly as sin IMO but do their job. I put on one of the short windshields that really offers very little protection and it does not bother me one bit, then again neither would the new XP's. I just dress for the conditions and it's not an issue at all.

Exactly what 311 Hemi said. The '05 revs and newer are great and can be had starting for around the $4000 mark. I have one of each that he mentioned, the 600 sdi renegade (136" track) and the 500ss in a regular 121" track. Both are great. For the extra couple hundred bucks I would buy the renegade and the SDI although there is nothing wrong with the 500ss which actually has a 597 cc carbed motor. That one is actually faster than the 600 sdi since the renegade is geared a little lower.

Great trail riding sleds though. He'll be happy. You'll be trading your polaris soon if he gets one if you are looking for smooth trail ride.

They are little colder to ride than the old style (not rider forward) sleds.

ccarlson

i think any of the revs would be great for just trail riding. if all your going to be on is gromed trails theres no need to spend the extra money to get the x shocks and what not. ive ridin both on the trail and there the same but theres a night and day difference when you get like in the ditch or something. i have a 2003 ski-doo 600ho rev that im thinking about getting rid of if your intrested e-mail me at [YouNeedAuthorization]@hotmail.com

i'm kinda bias i guess i dont think you can go wrong with a

ski-doo they been at it along time they own motors for how long i have reverse on mine it works way better than the gf on a polaris i think ski-doo sold that to polaris

some of the talk above about shocks etc etc i think you would hafta be racing to really tell a big difference

mines an 04 mxz adrenline but i think its a great sled i trail ride 95% of the time if your a good rider yoou just bout steer this with the trottle last time we riding i was behind 3 polaris and watching them on a ruff traill we hit it seem to me there were bouncing a lot more than me i dunno like i said i kinda bias i have an e-tec to both motors idle like come on lets go!!!!!!

OHH by the way its snowing like crazy here if this keeps up all day we will have all of the 6inches they are talking bout

ride em boys !!!!!!!!!!! like the wind !!!!!!!!!!!!

Frogtosser,

The 600 HO non sdi engines had more problems than the 600 HO SDI (semi direct inject) or the 500ss motors. The standard 600HO had a run of bad pistons and a few other problems. Nothing really widespread but more so than the other two.

check a web site called doo talk for more ski doo specifics as well.

One of the things they say to watch for on the 500ss is the carb boot. They tend to crack creating a lean engine situation. I haven't had a problem but I keep an eye on the boots.

One other thing about the ski doo's that you will like is the mileage. I've had 5 polaris snowmobiles ranging from 340 fans to 700 liquids and they all get poor to crappy mileage at about 7-10 mpg. My ski doos get 16 mpg for the 500ss and 20-21 for the 600sdi. That one will drop to mid teens if I'm really riding hard.

ccarlson

You can tell the SDI a couple ways if you are not sure. It would say 600HO SDI on the hood for one unless the graphics have been altered. Second, the SDI is basically fuel injected (semi direct). There is no choke. You pull the cord twice and it starts and stays running just about as smooth as a car engine. The first pull sets the fuel pump and computer controls and the second pull fires it up. You can cut that to one pull if you push the "start/RER" button which also gets the fuel pump running and systems up using battery power. Of course some have electric start too which just fire right up and idle smoothly.

The 600 HO non sdi is a strong, fast running motor but just make sure you warm it up really well before hammering on it. They are a little tougher to sell used than the sdi's though since most people look for the sdi.

To answer your other question, no, I don't work at brother's. I'm just giving some input based on my own experience so take that for as little as it's worth!

By the way, had a good little ride tonight around the Merrifield loop. I was worried we were done for the season locally after that meltdown.

ccarlson

thanks i have the ho then takes bout 4 pulls for it to fire

ya we gonna head tomorrow bout 1 or so

think we're going to head out threw the pillsbury forest to pillager head stop at steves back to ernies have few cocktails and eat the fish

its a good friday night meal