• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old ammo question...

Howdy all...

In our haste to move back in 1999, some 12ga shells, a couple boxes of .270 remington rounds and a few other flavors got stuffed into a box marked "misc. stuff". Scary, I know!! I just found this box this morning (actually cleaning the crawl space due to rain) and was wondering if I can still trust this ammo.

My crawl space has sort of high humidity and a ton of dust. Also, I'm not sure as to when this ammo was actually purchased. I know.... I'm bad, so please no slamming...

So what do you think? Is it still usable/safe? Or should it be disposed of? And how?

Thanks....

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

I have used ammo that has been up to 30+ yrs. old no prob. Ammo was made back when thay still packed #4 buck 25 to a box in paper shell casings. .270 or any brass if the outside of it still is good to go it should work.

------------------
GRIZ

with your 270, shoot some of it, if you can't group the bullets it may be too old, which I doubt. I had some original Herterz 30.06 shells I tried shooting last fall, couldn't group at all so I took them apart, I'll reuse the brass and bullet. They were over 30 years old. I would think you should be fine.