• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

brearings and speedo

kc0myy

ok I just checked my jack shaft bearings and that looks goods . but I don't know how to check the drive shaft bearings. I think i have to take off the drive shaft. but I pulled on the drive shaft when it was up in the air and everything seems tight. The linkage for the speedo is broken. how did I check the bearings and the fix the speedo linkage? I have a polaris super sport.

KC:

I don't know if it is anything like my cats, but my speedo was broken too. After researching the cause on blogs, I discovered that the majority of the time that the drive shaft bearings are bad. If you pull the driven clutch, the speed adapter is just below. There should be 3 or 4 bolts holding it on along with the speedo cable. If you remove the cover, you will see the face of the bearing. In my case, the center of the drive shaft was about 3/4 of an inch off. Needless to say a new bearing was long overdue. My bro-in-law had the exact same problem. We changed both bearing while we had it apart. One sled took about 2 hours give or take. This was our first time and the second one was a lot easier.

Jeff

KC:

My cats were set up as follows...

Under the speedo connection where you can view the drive shaft bearing, there should be a speed adapter pin the connects the grommet in the end of the drive shaft with the speedo adapter. Mine was broke off so I had to use a small needle nose to remove both pieces. Once removed, insert the new adapter pin, attach cover and grease - pretty simple.

Jeff

Just go into a polaris part dealer and ask for the speedo key. Its about two and a half inches long and square in shape. Make sure to also grease the fitting as often as possible. Just had to change my completely fried driveshaft bearing yesterday cause i never greased the thing.

Since you have it apart you might as well change the bearing. Usually the speedo key breaks cause there is added stress on it.... such as a bearing going out. Its a cheap part and worth doing now.

As a former Tech at a Polaris/Ski-Doo/Yamaha Dealer I have only one thing to say about Polaris' when the Speedo goes out after 2000miles.....Replace your Driveshaft bearings. I worked in the snowbelt - the U.P. I can't tell you how many times people wanted to keep riding when we recommended to change the bearings, the sleds were usually sitting at the shop the next morning. This was not an issue with Yamaha or Ski-Doo, but 80's and 90's Polaris'. The recomemmeded time is 2hrs, we had it done to less than 1. The PTO side was less common than the Mag side. Remember the driveshaft is driven on the Mag side. So pulling off your secondary(clutch) and looking at that bearing may not identify your problem.

I have a 94 arctic cat prowler. My speedo quit working not too long ago, after reading these posts I decided to investigate the problem a little further. I am not really savvy with engines issues.

I just pulled clutch off and removed the cover on the speedo assembly, exposing what I think is the bearing. The pin which connects the speedo assembly to the bearing was not broken in any way. I was able to remove the pin from the speedo assembly though, but it does not look broken. But I was able to just pull the speedo cable right out of the assembly.

Couple questions. How do I know if the bearing is bad? And if it is bad, how the heck do I get it out?

Since the pin/key was not broken off, does that mean that the bearing is not bad? Should I just try replacing the speedo cable?

Couple questions. How do I know if the bearing is bad? And if it is bad, how the heck do I get it out?

Since the pin/key was not broken off, does that mean that the bearing is not bad? Should I just try replacing the speedo cable?

The drive shaft will be off to the side not dead center of the bearing. if you have the little balls fall out yep the bearing is bad. once you take that cover off the for the speedo assembly thats the drive shaft and the bearings are right there. for the speedo cable I would take it out of the assembly and spin it with you fingers or a drill both ways if it does not move you gauge is bad or the cable is. to check the gauge take the calbe out of the gauge spin the cable from the drive shaft end if that don't spin up by the gauge end your cable is bad if you cable does spin its your gauge. I just replaced my speedo key tonight it took me like 20 mins to do it. if I had all the tool right next to me it would of been 10 mins. any more questions let up know

If the speedometer key is not broken you should be ok with the bearing. Just a rule of thumb..

See the link I placed above to the other post explaining bearing removal.

Your speedo cable could have failed, or the speedometer itself? I've experienced a broken cable before...

Detach the speedo cable from the bottom housing and detach the speedo cable from the speedometer housing. Turn the cable by hand and look at the other end...is it turning as well?

I have attached a drill to the end of the speedo cable (at the bottom housing) and left the cable attached to the speedometer and see if the speedometer is working properly.

(didn't see kc0mmy's post on page 2..didn't mean to repeat what was said. grin)

thanks chuck.

I have seen all the previous posts regarding removal of the bearing. But there seems to be some contradicting info in the posts.

Do I have to jack the back of the sled up to get to the bearing? Some have said to jack the back of the sled up, others have just said to remove the dust cover to get to the bearings.

Can you clarify? I think my bearing probably is working properly, but just for future reference.

thanks again.

Quote:
Do I have to jack the back of the sled up to get to the bearing? Some have said to jack the back of the sled up, others have just said to remove the dust cover to get to the bearings.

There is not really a right/wrong way to do this. It all depends on the situation...I've had bearings extremely fail/seize to the driveshaft, wreck the bearing housing and it required more work.

Yes, you should jack it up, but I have also flipped the sled on it's side to work on the bearing too.

Loosen suspension to free up some wiggle room for the track and driveshaft. Remove the speedo housing (3 bolts typically IIRC) and the backing plate that secures the bearing. If the bearing wants to slip off the driveshaft, and you have sufficient room it should come off and repair should be relatively easy?

If the bearing is stuck (rusted, seized) to the driveshaft:

-Loosen track and remove suspension. 4 bolts holding suspension to the skid frame.

-Remove housing (3 bolts off speedo cable housing) from driveshaft bearing.

-Tear into chain case and remove chain and gears from the driveshaft

-Removed driveshaft from sled

Reverse order to re-install. It's a fun job, and I'd recommend getting someone to assist.

I usually remove everything to inspect, grease and replace/rebuild shocks, etc..

thanks everyone. I think..... It sure sounds like a job that will test my patience level.

I think my bearing is fine though at this time. But not looking forward to the day when it does fail. At least I will have a little understanding of how to fix it.