• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In the Kennle?!?!

Joe15

Ok here is the scoop. I have a 7 month old pure bred yellow lab pointer. For some reason he insisnts on going number one and number two in his kennel. Any reasons why he does this and/or how to correct it?

Ive have been told that a puppy can usually hold its blatter for 1 hour for every month old it is. So in your case if your dog is in the kennel longer for 7hrs he may not be able to hold it any longer.

I also suggest making the kennel smaller. But also make sure you give the dog some time to do his thing before he gets put away. If you feed him in the morning before you leave for work, wait about 20-30 mins and then let him out and make sure he goes then before you put him away for the day.

All of the advice already posted is pretty good. The only thing I will add is a way to cut down on the mess he may make in the kennel and on himself. Put shredded paper in the bottom. It will absorb whichever or both messes he makes and keep him relatively clean. Clean up is easier too.

I agree with the suggestions listed above and would add repitition and praise on a regular schedule. As soon as the you wake up in morning take the dog to go "potty" and say it over and over as the dog goes "potty" outside, then when he does a good job love him up and congratulate him. 30 min after he eats same thing, take him out say "potty,potty" and congratulate a job well done. Lunchtime and before bed too pretty soon he'll figure out that your happier with him when he goes outside so give him ample opportunity on a regular schedule and lots of praise.

Are you talking about an actual kennel or dog crate. All the advice so far is related to a crate. I assume that you are talking about a crate. I was getting visions of you blocking off an outdoor kennel to make it just large enough for the dog to turn around.

He only does it when he is in the outside kennel but we have like a dual dog box inside for when we are gone and its cold and its like his little sleeper place. I mean it't not just once it ALOT of the junk.