• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris xc 500/600

snooze

I'm looking at getting a used sled. Right now I'm looking at Polaris XC 500 or 600 2001-2002. I'm just looking for some feedback on these sleds Pros and Cons. Probably use the sled for some trail riding and ice fishing

I just got a 2002 xc 500. It runs great, starts on about 2nd or 3rd pull, or first pull when warm. sunday morning at -15 it took 4. This sled screams! It is very fast, and it wants to go fast. For ice fishing I might look at something else just cause it seems to be geared more for speed, but for trail riding it is great. I did not put a hitch on the xc but will probably tow a shack a little bit, but will use my other ones for ice fishing.

Mine has a bit too little weight on the skiis, and it is kinda of squirrely - sort of pushes into corners. I need to adjust suspension, but haven't yet. I will say this, the more I ride it the more I like it. I have a 02 yamaha venture 600 2-up with it, and they are totally different. The xc is waaay more sporty and wants to go fast, the touring just cruises and feels more solid - still fast and powerful, but the xc just "wants to go fast". If I sit more forward (I am fat guy, so am more a "comfort" rider) it handles great and doesn't push, so I need more pressure on skis I think.

I think when I get the suspension more dialed in, and make sure my carbides are good (they seem like it, but I am rookie) I will like the xc even more. I have 1300 miles on mine, I put about 100 of them on only so far.

Have fun!

I just bought an 04 xc sp 600 slightly over one week ago. LOVE IT!!! I used to ride 12 years ago (Polaris 600 xcr) and did a lot of aggressive trail riding. I'm 42 now and certainly won't ride like I did back then, so in all honesty, maybe a 500 would be sufficient for me. I've been told by most folks that the 500 is just as quick out of the hole and up to 60/70 mph or so. Top end is NOT a necessity for me nowadays, but I do love the quickness out of the hole. The only other situation where I've been told the 600 might have a noticeable difference is when you get in deeper powder situations. If I had to do it all over again and KNEW for sure that the 500 had just as much punch out of the hole, I probably would have opted for a 500, as I would have spent less. But don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY SLED. I took it through a very rough patch in the ditch the other day at 40 mph. It was a very good work-out for me but the sled handled it with absolutely no problem. The suspension is fantastic. I'm almost positive that the frame/suspension/engines on the 01-02's are the same as my '04. Summation: I really don't see how it would be humanly possible for you to pick up a 500 or 600 xc and be disappointed. I've still been keeping an eye on the online, free site where folk's list stuff for sale - there are a lot of nice sleds currently available. Good luck.

boxMN

just a thought a pull a house a few yrs back with a sled i had back then i did something to the clutch not sure what i thought it was i just burnt of the belt some it wasnt a real big house but i would never do it again with a trail sled

i'm not a mehcanic (cant spell it either )but you might want to ask someone smarter than me

kdawg

you should bring that 600 up we'll ride i have 04 600

mxz thats fast would be fun to see the difference i was on a

lake yesterday sqeezed it alittle over 100 i think i was to scared to look down to long lol

its kinda like box the sled just wants to go fast

gregg, my days of 100 mph on a sled are long gone. If Brainerd wasn't a 2 hour drive for me, I'd take you up on the ride offer in a heartbeat. As it stands, most of my riding is done closer to home (wife and kids). If I were to do 4 hours on the road and then a full day of riding, I think I'd be shot for a week. Anyhow, thanks for the offer.