• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winch problem

Hitman54

Let's see if anyone can give me any insight. I have a Warn winch, less than 2 years old. It recently has stoped working for me. It has power but it will not go in or out. It sounds like it is in the free spool setting all the time. I can switch it in and out of the free spool mode but nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Sounds like either the free spool mechanism is hanging up and not reengaging, or you may have broken a gear inside. Was it working normally up until this happened, or did it make any noises or give any indication of being jammed?

If the motor turns but the drum doesnt there is something wrong with your freespool "shifter". Probalbly going to have to take it appart and check it out. Its not really that complicated to do just take the winch off, and take the winch motor off and check out the "transmission".

Thanks for the suggestions. The winch had been working fine with no unusual noises up until it stoped working. I was plowing snow one night and it just stoped working. I will have to take it apart and look at it this weekend.