• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hip-Hop artists for kids....

Rip_Some_Lip

I have went though some of the same stuff with my eight year old trying to find some music for an I-pod. I stuck on a couple extras to see if he would like them and he couldn't wait to have his friends listen to them. I just tried to pick some songs I liked as a kid. Pick couple songs like these with out telling him to get his reaction. Devil Went down to Georgia, Thank god I'm a country Boy, Battle of New Orleans by Johny Horton, You Aint nothin but a Hounddog, Theme to duke of hazzard by Waylon. You get the Idea. Has been fun, all of a sudden he wanted to go through all my old cd's to see if dad actually had some other cool music. He found out he likes Waylon, Elvis, Boston, Eagles, GnR, and quite a few others and the songs are free. They need a few songs that are new and popular, after that they just want to brag about how many songs they have on the I-pod.

WARNING: do not try this with a sixteen year old.

Maybe I will use this time to post my favorite "old timers" story. Back about 15 years ago my youngest son who was entering into teen age status discovered my old album collection. Led Zeppelin, Lynryd Skynrd, Jimi Hendrix etc and his friends were also into the Classic Rock.

He saw my albums and thought that they were the greatest thing since sliced bread for one reason.....his exact words were, "these things are great! They have music on BOTH sides!" Not realizing, of course, that CD's contained the same amount of songs but on "one side" LOL

The Old-School Rap isn't that bad. You can go with Will Smith, Kurtis Blow, Sugar Hill Gang, The KLF. I'd have to go out to the garage and grab my old cassettes to dig up more names. If you want some more of the musical type stuff, again you can't go wrong with old school break beats: Freeez, Chaka Khan, older Prince, any of those early 80's Dance compilation albums should work.

Off topic, NWA's "Straight Outta Compton" is one of the best albums there is. My number one is Wendy O. WIlliams and the Plasmatics "Beyond the Valley of 1984". Neither of these do I let my kids listen to (Yeah, I'm the parent and I said so)

For singles, you can't beat The Suburban Lawns "I'm a Janitor"