• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Springer ear infection again...

Rip_Some_Lip

I have a springer spaniel and she gets an ear infection every once in a while. I try to clean her ears on a fairly regular basis and always when they start to smell. I always take her to the vet and he checks her for mites and never finds them. He also says he doesnt think she has an infection. He will prescribe me some tresaderm drops to use on her and it seems to work. What do you guys use for this problem? Also is there something I can buy over the counter without having to pay the vet to tell me the same thing every time? I know I should take her in every time, but that can cost alot of money and he gives me the same stuff every time. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How often are you cleaning her ears? Our dane's get pretty grungy after a week. Being that a springer has droopier ears and is likely outside playing quite a bit, I'd imagine they'd need cleaning at least that often (of course, it depends, too, on the dog). Our dog hates having his ears cleaned, but if it prevents trips to the vet, you'd better bet they're going to get cleaned often!

I've read that canine ear infections can be bacterial or fungal, and they are treated differently, so I guess it's pretty important to go to the vet and not try to self medicate.

They sell ear cleaning solution at Pet stores....lay them down, fill the canal with solution, massage it around and then soak it up with a cotton ball or the like. My 13 year old dog has chronic ear infections and this ear cleansing/flushing has seemed to help.

As a Springer breeder, some dogs just have more ear prolems than other springers. Some dogs will get a sore ear when they get water in them. Try putting cotton in its ears when you give them a bath or take them swimming. Never tried the peroxide thing but it sounds like it could help. And yes, there is over the counter ear meds at pet stores that you can use regularly that help.

I think I may need to clean them more often. I use a cleaner solution I got from the vet a while back. I don't think it is an infection because the ear isn't red like in the past. She is just doing the head shake lately. Maybe just wax build up. I will clean them better and more often and keep an eye on it. Thanks for the replies.

rip some lip,

I remember this conversation last time your dog had the problem. Have you tried the lamb and rice food yet? With two springers in the house and one with the chronic problem and multiple trips to the vet, that switch in food took care of it. We have not had one ear infection for the past 3 years and we do not clean the ears at all.

My vet said EVERY time the ear is wet, it should be cleaned. Think of there droopy ear as a greenhouse, the ears are warm and the water trapped in there is a problem. Next time your dog has wet ears and has been running put your hand by there ear.

One of my springers gets an ear infection EVERY time she gets wet. Try cleaning the ears after baths, swimming, etc. If we are diligent about the cleaning, the infections are rare. I clean my lab's ears after every swim (almost daily all summer)and have not had an infection.

Our last infection cost $50 (office visit, Rx). Regular cleaning is much cheaper. There are many ear cleaners out there. Look for one that dries the ears as well.