• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What age do you consider adding another dog?

CJH

I currently have a four year old Black Lab that is a great family and hunting dog. While he is a long way from being done (cross your fingers) just wondering at what age do you consider getting another dog. I would think that you would want to get one a year or two before you retire your existing dog so they can learn from the older one, but since I just started pheasant hunting a few years ago, I haven't been through the transition. I know it depends on the dog, and I plan on letting the dog "tell" me when he is done, but I want to plan accordingly also.

Here's too many years of happy hunting and companionship!

Thanks for any info or insight you may have.

CJH

I picked up my second pointing lab when the first one was 7.5 years old. The timing was perfect. My older lab, now 10 had his last full hunting season last fall. The younger on has three falls under his belt and is getting pretty good. Next year the older dog will get a few ceremonial hunts but the younger dog will be my go-to hunting machine.

I have not been through this but my I am planning on getting a 2nd dog when my lab is around 9. She will be 7 in may and is full of life still. I figure i will hunt her 2 more falls and then get a puppy for her to train for the next 2 years.

When my first lab was 3 he hurt himself and I couldn't hunt him for a month during the pheasant season, drove me crazy so I got another one. Too soon - when I started doing the numbers I realized that I could have a 10 year old dog and a 13 year old dog. The first one solved the problem for me by dying at the age of 10. Then I waited until the second was six before I bred her and kept one of the pups. When she died at 12, I had a six year old, was going to give her a couple years hunting on her own but then circumstances - my brother losing his dog - convinced me to get another pup, so right now I'm sitting at a 12 year old lab and a 5 year old lab.

Hunted the 12 year old quite a bit last year and she did fine, I would have had a great season with just her, but shes really slowing down, if I hunted her on consecutive days/long 3 hour hunts, she was beat up. And the five year old is a demon. So in answer to your question, I think 6-7 years is a good spacing. When the young one was a pup, I had said I was going to get another one at the age of five - I like pups, their fun - but now when that time has come, I'm going to wait just because I don't want vet bills on 3 dogs, the hassle of traveling with 3 dogs, etc.

Good luck!

I just flat out love dogs so when my male was two I got another. I train dogs in the summer so I feel it is important to make sure the first is trained well before adding another. Other than that..I don't think it matters. I also worry about one becoming ill or injured during season. This way I always have a dog ready. I hunt them together for pheasants and take turns with them on waterfowl. Works great for me. I will get to a point when one is 10 and the other 8 but I will just then add another. I love dogs!

Thanks for all of the great advice and input. It seems like I was on the right path, but all of the feedback confirms it!!!

Hope you had a good hunting season, whatever that may be!

CJH

Never thought I would have 2 labs but I am adding a second lab in a couple months (I have a deposit down and the pups are due to be born next week). My current lab is 9, still in good shape but is definately slowing down.