• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Me and couple buddy's decided to just go out there and see whats going on since there are never any reports. We fished waubay right away and got a couple nice perch. we moved to 4 different spots. Had one really nice walleye break the line right below the ice. We ended up with 12 perch but was very slow. There was a couple other people out there and they were doing the same as us. We decided to go to pickerel lake and i dont think have every seen so many people on that lake in my life. There had to be about 100 houses out there and was watching people who were fishing outside keeping these 8" crappies. There used to be some nice crappies but i think that lake is just getting fished out. I am sure this is not the report everybody wanted to hear. frown

Me and a few buddys were out on Waubay also on the 17-18. What access did you go out of?

Was also out there on the 18th. Didn't even get on the main lake. Got stuck at both acesses at buckshot, there were no other track that we seen go on to the lake. The acess at grenville looked like you could get out but we passed on it(to much shoveling already). We ended up fishing the refuge. Fishing was really slow! The few perch we caught were small. the walleye bit was so-so at dark. Kind of disspaionting. Next time will be bring the sleds.

We were out there on the 19,20, and 21st. We fished Waubay for half a day on monday, Wind made it hard to get the trucks around. Went to the refuge and got a few nice walleyes that evening. Spent the next day and a half watching people almost run over eachother at Pickerel. Was fun fishing, just wish we could have gotten around better on Waubay for some perch. Was still fishing, had a great time.

A guy from work and I have plans to fish Waubay area the 3rd weekend of Feb. First time fishing SD for me. Any suggestions on a reasonable motel/hotel in the area? Maybe somewhere next to a baitstore or lake? I'll do the google search for sure...but just wondering if anyone has any recomendations for lodging and/or fishing locations. Thanks - FL SNIPER

I would call Grenville Sport Mart. It is in the town of Grenville on the north side of Waubay Lake. They rent out about 3 houses for like $50 per night per house - really cheap. Each house has about 3 or 4 bedrooms and are nice especially for the price. Full kitchens, baths, beds, etc. Also, they have bait about a block or 2 from your rental house - bar also with food about a block away. Nice people - 605-486-4641.

We stayed in one of the Grenville Sports Mart houses... $30 per person per night. 2 night minimum. Good place to stay with plenty of room. Like pegleg said, bar and food is a block away.

Also, the public access is about 1/4 mile away from the cabins. We were there this spring (2 weeks prior to MN opener) and it snowed so hard we couldn't fish one day. The next day we paid Sports Mart to plow out the public landing for us so we could put the boat in the water to fish. It sure looked weird snow plowing while we were backing the boat in the water.