• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris -- Help

Sorgy

I purchased a couple of used Polaris Indy Classics late last season w/ some relatives and finnaly got to put some miles on them. They were purchased from a neibors brother that turned 80 last winter. We keep them in Cook for the entire year.

Last weekend we put about 225 miles on both machines. The trails were awsome.

The sleds are:

a 1997 Indy Classic 500 2 up machine w/reverse. It has 4000 miles on it now.

a 94 Indy Classic 1 up w/reverse again it is a 500.

Both machines are in very nice shape.

While riding last weekend I was keeping a close eye on all fluid levels. I noticed on the 1997 Indy 500 that I am loosing a little bit of coolant. I also noticed a corner of the engine that looked a little damp- probably the antifreeze but I am not sure. Should I have someone look at it right away or should I monitor it very closely?

What other areas of concern should I keep a close eye on for these machines? They both start right off and run strong.

Has anyone had work done up in the tower / Cook area on snowmobiles?

Thanks for the help.

p.s. the trails were incredible both Sunday and Monday mornings we were on the trial by 9:15 AM and the first ones on the Arrowhead trail behind the groomers.

There still were areas of slush on the lake that were ugly. I was eaten up by a slush monster just off the lake trial by Birch point on Sunday afternoon blush Thank you to the group that helped me get the machine back to the trail the 75 feet.

We rode from the Landing to Babbitt on Sunday and took the Arrowhead trail to the North Spur trial to Orr and back to the landing on Monday. The trails were great both ways. The snow looked to be deep enough in the woods that I did not want to step off the trail.

I can't wait to get back up and hit the trails again grin

Steve Sorgenfrei

While riding last weekend I was keeping a close eye on all fluid levels. I noticed on the 1997 Indy 500 that I am loosing a little bit of coolant. I also noticed a corner of the engine that looked a little damp- probably the antifreeze but I am not sure. Should I have someone look at it right away or should I monitor it very closely?

Does it look like its leaking out under the cylinder head? If so, you'll want to get the head gasket replaced ASAP. Might just be leaking to the outside of the engine now but if it leaks to the inside, uh oh!

Also your exhaust would have a bit of extra smoke from burning it up. Should be able to use a headlamp or flashlight to look down the spark plug holes and see if your pistons are clean. if they are clean silver then you have been combusting the antifreeze for a while. either way a cheap repair. good luck

Guy's,

Thanks for the help. It did seem to be comming from the left front corner of the head. Is it an easy fix that can be done with minimal tools and a tourqe wrench? How long of a project would it normally be? Otherwise I will try and take it in next time I get up to Cook--Hopefully very soon.

Any other experiences with this 488 motor?

Enjoy this upcomming cold front--

Steve

Head gasket should be a fairly easy and quick fix, just pull the head nuts off, scrape off the old gasket material and replace with the new one and put her back together. The torque spec. should be around 18-20 ft. lbs. You wont find too many negative comments on the ol' Fuji 500 motor! It was without a doubt the most reliable sled motor ever built. I.M.O. Seen tons of them with over 10K without ever seeing a wrench! Had a buddy with over 15K on his 92'...never had the head off! Good Luck

Thank You again for all the help. The last sled I rode with any regularity was a 1971 Ski Doo 399.

I now officially have another bad habit to go along with Muskie fishing and hunting blush

Steve

I'll add if you take the heads off, drain the coolant down a little bit first to avoid coolant seeping into the cylinders and crankcase. There should be a bleed valve on the motor somewhere, or if not, there's always the thermostat and a new gasket will be required if you loosen that.