• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick question on Batson Rainshadow blank...

VMS

The colors I have chosen for guide wraps are starting with black for a few wraps, then one to 2 wraps of silver then around 4 - 5 wraps of red, going back to silver, then back to black to finish off the wrap. Pretty much just trying to get a triple color into the wrap with different types of style.

Started wondering if I should choose a charcoal color main wrap instead of black, just so the black doesn't seem too strong..

Steve

There are a few colors I like on a charcoal blank. There is a blue that bleeds darker when you don't use color preserver that looks nice. Also there is a color that turns a deep cranberry color that looks nice. Use a metallic gold or silver for end wraps.

black, metallic red, and metallic silver with no color preserver will look good as the black will go somewhat translucent. Metallic black is also a fun color on the Rainshadow blanks. I did a pink camo rod for my daughter and the metallic black / rosepink mylar combo with black guides looked rather stealthy and blended in nicely with the pink camo grips. I would suggest that you buy some broken blanks to use as a color palet for various wrap/color preserver/finish combo. One sure way to tell what a wrap combo will look like is to try your wraps on the butt of the blank where the handle goes and apply one thin coat of finish. You'll know what the final outcome will looks like and then when you install the handle your test will be covered up.

I have thought about doing a single or double wrap to begin with, then a little black, then the decorative stuff, so I am still unsure... Looking for something pretty subtle, but not something you can find on a mass produced rod...

Steve

That blue looks nice. You don't see that too much unless you look at custom built rods. That cranberry color is a very popular color when Thorne Bros makes rods for customers. Check out their web site, they may have the different color threads they use. Might give you more ideas.

I've seen their teal-colored blue on some muskie rods..and the royal blue too. That cranberry color looks great as well. I wish I could find more ideas online. I've typed in various types of guide wrapping, then switching to google images to see what I can find...

Once I get the rod on the wrapper, I get to play around...I'll post pics of what I am thinking...maybe you all can give me some better ideas since I am just starting out...

Steve

When using the dark gray, charcoal blanks. I like to let the epoxy "bleed" into the wrap making it richer/ darker looking. No color preserver. The metallic wrap really enhances this.

I can't think of anywhere on line that would show you color schemes.

I found that today when I was goofing around on lunch. The one I found was made up by Gudebrod, but it didn't allow for me to really formalize any sort of pattern with small trim against a bigger trim/color change...

It was pretty basic...

Steve

I have a walleye rod that I have to make for my wife, and a heavier rod(st croix SCV) that I got a deal on that I am not too sure what I am going to to do with, probably a baitcaster of some sort with a spiral wrap and split grips, maybe out of birch bark.

I have made her a couple in the past and she decided to let me donate them to charitable events. This one will be a bit more customized to her. Her main nationality is Norwegian so I am going to do a Norwegian Flag butt wrap.

You have mail grin

Have you seen those new St. Croix legend xtreme. They were talking about them at TB when I was there two weeks ago. They didn't have any blanks though, but they will carry them. I guess Loomis is comming out with a few blanks also, but a little later in the year.

I'll let you know what I decide on for another Walleye rod.