• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why I Like Panfish

eyeguy 54

Come on NWBuck, just cook 'em inside! If you cook them outside with a west wind my father-in-law might smell them and come steal some from you! When do I get to chase hardwater bluegills up at Okoboji with you? smile

Selmer

Cooking fish inside strictly forbidden around here by the Mrs. I'm sure you have similar rules at your place grin

Better find a weekend to come back before it warms up...bluegills and perch have been excellent here lately. Hunter and I planning a long day chasing 'em on Spirit this weekend. Tell the family hello!

The fam will be back in town the last weekend of Jan - Jan 31/Feb 1 to visit g'pa - you have heard about his cancer I assume? I hope to get back with them for a weekend later this spring before ice is out, we'll have to try to make a family outing. The wife actually likes fishing if it's not too cold and the fish are biting, the girls LOVE it no matter what! smile We are blessed with an actual outdoor vent fan above our stove, so I can cook fish in the house in the winter, but it's out back in the summertime. smile I tried fishing three different lakes yesterday, caught one green sunfish, rather depressing. frown We'll stop by next time we're around. We were going to earlier this year, but it looked like you had company.

Selmer

No, hadn't heard any news about cancer. You'll have to fill me in.

Give us a shout that weekend you're going to be back. It's Super Bowl Sunday, so we'll be tied up then, but I'm sure we'll be out somewhere on Saturday. Could try a couple of spots and see if we can get the kids on some fish. We've been having pretty good luck with perch on Spirit, as well as crappies and gills on a couple of local farm ponds. It'd be nice if the weather would warm up to where a person could roam around outside the shack without fear of frostbite cry

Talk to you later...

I won't be with them that weekend, I have internship responsibilities. G'pa B has malignant pancreatic cancer that has spread to the liver. It's not real good. I didn't know how well known it was around town, keep it close if you would please. We'll have to swing over another weekend. Broiling bluegills is almost illegal isn't it? Walleyes, bass, and northerns are fine, bluegills are for hot oil!

Have never really tried broiling fish...might be worth a shot, but you're right Selmer, these panfish are destined for a dip in hot oil grin

Sorry to hear about grandpa...we'll keep the family in our prayers. Take care.

If you have never tried Perch Parmesan, in the broiler, you are missing out..

(FYI, dont need perch, I usually do gills)

Rub down fillets with mayo, just a light coating..

put on a baking sheet and salt and pepper, then cover with Parmesan Cheese, the real stuff, not the stuff in a can.. Then Broil till golden brown.. Killer!!!!! and way super easy!

NW, I can only think of one way I'd rather have walleye or northern than broiled, and that's grilled! I'm not a huge fan of fried walleye, but put it on a fish grill, spray with PAM, sprinkle with seasoning salt, lemon pepper, garlic powder, and a little paprika - fantastic!

If you have never tried Perch Parmesan, in the broiler, you are missing out..

(FYI, dont need perch, I usually do gills)

Rub down fillets with mayo, just a light coating..

put on a baking sheet and salt and pepper, then cover with Parmesan Cheese, the real stuff, not the stuff in a can.. Then Broil till golden brown.. Killer!!!!! and way super easy!

Tried this recipe last night with some perch we caught over the weekend, and it was a big hit! Thanks for sharing Deitz!!