• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

EFI

river runt

Quote:
Do the EFI models gum up like the carburetor models when the gas turns bad. if so do you have to take the EFI a part and soak it in carb cleaner.RR

NO! grin At least not for me.

The only thing I will own is EFI, do to the low maint...

Starts every time. I will admit, some of my EFI sleds I was not the best about Stable in the gas and maintenance stuff. They started all the time. You get your fouled out plug once and awhile, but EFI is the best IMO. I am not a racer and I am not looking to improve throttle response, but to me EFI is the same in these areas, if not better.

Good luck!

I also agree EFI is the way to go. I have had 3 EFI's 1- Polaris and 2- Cats. Less maintenance, and easier on throttle thumb on long rides.

WOW Someone needs to eat thier wheaties! Sorry I cant go ridin with ya guys my thumb just cant take it cry

You cat guys just need a strong back to pull those thing up on the trailer when they break down on the trail, isnt that how we had to get that easy on the thumb cat home last time? (coming from a former cat rider that has seen the light and went with the big P gringrin )

Just purchased a 99 ZL600 efi with 2000 miles. First efi that I have owned. Any issues with model? Sure starts nice. Kind of worried about the electronics. All the normal maintanence has been done, drive bearings, slides, skid bearings,etc.

Red,

When you bought it did they say anything about the stator and if it had been replaced? That was a fairly common part that would eventually fail on these sleds as far as electronics goes, you can buy rebuilt ones for about $250 - $300, I would not purchase a used one. If your somewhat mechanicaly inclined, a flywheel puller and a couple hours and you had this item replaced.

Other than that the only other thing that you need to keep an eye on with the cat is the track drive bearings, I would replace mine every 4 years or so just for preventive maintenance reasons. Sounds like they have already done that on yours.

Mike

I'm very mechaniclly inclined since my formal training was in diesel technology. Jackshaft bearings have been replaced along with the slides. I checked all of the idler bearings on the skid which were good, changed the chaincase oil, and fixed the exhaust manifold gaskets. It doesn't look like to me that anything has been touched on the engine so I would say that the stator is the original.

In my expierence with the stators, they usually die coming out of summer storage, you'll start it, might run for a few seconds, maybe a day or 2 and then quit, no spark at all. It's pretty common on the 500, 580 and 600 engines, with your wrenching capability you should have that thing fixed in less than an hour ( if it happens ).

Have fun, you'll love that sled. I had a ZL500 and one thing I did end up doing is putting a Kimpex shock on the rear suspension, the factory one finally gave out, made a big difference in the ride for sure.

Mike