• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dead decoys

lovetheice

This might be a stupid ? but my brother-in said that if you take a spearing chub that is dead and cut it up to drop in your hole the northerns can smell this and it will attract them in. What if any sense does this make.Sorry for the dumb ?

there is no such thing as a dumb question. soory cant answer that. had one experience though. was on a lake and the nords went crazy. only had one sucker deke left and it was dead, them nords just kept hammering it, it didnt matter if it was dead or alive that day. so who knows, how well do you like your bro-in-law? J/K. crazylaughwinkwhistle

maybee im nuts but seems to me once u catch a fish and get slime /scent on ur hands and rebait the fish bite better.Ido know if u eat then bait up the bite is worse,i use some sort of fish scent dr juice is real good if u can find it,but they all help.

I've great luck using dead sucker,smelt while tip up fishing pike and have tried them spearing but havent had as much luck. I think that later in the saeson dead bait will work better than early ice. just my experience

fish blood works... Like say ya caught a sunny hooked it really bad blood everywhere, dipper in the water throw er in your bucket n just wait... Happened to me twice, caught a sunny 15min later a nord was there, 2 different times same thing happened, I think their sense of smell can pick stuff up like that. Maybe it was just my luck but I dont think so.

I think chumming is illegal in MN. The pike will come in no matter what alive or dead if they can see it and are interested. One thing with a deke it doesn’t travel far and the same with a live decoy. They are predators but why not grab an easy meal with out to much effort. For the scent it might help and it might not.

ok guys, i have been sitting in a spearhouse since ive been 10 years old, and yea thats been a long time ago, so what the he!! is chumming?

type of baiting, dead fish, blood, gross things to put scent in the water to attract fish

glenn remember in the movie jaws when chief Brody was tossen out that nastey stuff from that bucket. he'd put old spice on a hanky and puit it over his nose sick

I know guys taht cut up minnows and lots of them and throw them down the hole when they are perchin to keep in the area.

yea, i remember that.there was some talk about it being legal though? back in the day when you could catch truck loads of tullibbee on leech i seen people dropping oatmeal down the hole. they were attracted to shiny/flashy stuff. we just a daredvel as a flasher, with no hooks.

Yea I know what you mean with the daredevil I still do that for pannies and perch as a matter of fact this morning I was jiggin a perch colored spoon and the crappie were coming to it and even nippin at it. then a monster came in well it looked like it. it was probably 15-18lbs let her swim by to make more little pike.

I know that at times fishing with tip ups mind you that the pike will hit dead over live bait and it is kind of the same ting as in witch color to use at times red and white are it and at other times yellow and red only work. just another option to try if not see any thing. but I dont think that I will kill a sucker just to try it. they cost to much.

The reason using a dead sucker or smelt is sometimes better on a tipup is because they don't always wanna chase their food, but a lively decoy will always draw in more fish. Pike are curious. You don't need 'em to be hungry to stick 'em

Last time out I had an old sucker that was'nt quite dead, but couldn't swim or stay upright, so I threw him down the hole to see what would happen. It kind of drifted out in front of the hole, but I could still see it (it was about 14"). Half hour later I saw something nudging it then my live decoy went nuts and he came up to that and got poked. Half hour after that I saw a flash and something took it, but not sure what it was. That is when I started breaking fatheads in half and letting them sink. Saw many fish that day.