• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Meet the Jay family

Yellowhead

The other day I looked out the window, and setting in my blue spruce were a pair of jays. I grabbed my camera shot a few through the window (thats why its not very sharp). I have never seen two of them this close together so I decided to post it anway.

The-Jay-family.jpg

Nice image. Jays are hard to get an image of. If you want to see a whole lot of them together, put peanuts on a platform feeder. I'll get as many as 5 on a 8by12 inch board. Fighting will break out sooner or later though.

Mic

I did feed peanuts and I did get jays but I also got lots of squirrels.They were getting so fat I feared for their safely when they where in the trees. So I quite feeding peanuts (now their living on my black oils).

Does anyone know if live trapping and moving them works? I've had some people tell me it just a waste of time unless you can move them to the other side of a body of water.

I did feed peanuts and I did get jays but I also got lots of squirrels.They were getting so fat I feared for their safely when they where in the trees. So I quite feeding peanuts (now their living on my black oils).

Does anyone know if live trapping and moving them works? I've had some people tell me it just a waste of time unless you can move them to the other side of a body of water.

I would like to know the answer to yellowheads question, too. It's getting pretty desperate around here.

nice shot! We had a hatch near the house this summer and had as many as 6 at the feeder at one time!

Did you get any pictures of the fledged babies, finnbay? I had a family here this summer, too. They were adorable! But I had just gotten my camera and lets just say I was a bit of a slow learner.

Oh, yellowhead--nice pic by the way. Two together with a natural environment--bonus!

I had a racoon in my sunflower feeder so I live trapped it and released it seven miles away. It was back in my feeder two days later. It might work for squirrels but although they don't like to, they can swim really good.

Mic

I had a racoon in my sunflower feeder so I live trapped it and released it seven miles away. It was back in my feeder two days later.

Just how do you know it was the same one? grin They more than likely have a good memory, unless they can smell the seeds from that distance. grin