• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fix or not?

SkunkedAgain

I've got a '97 Polaris that has bad lower seals. I was thinking about spending the summer slowly going through the motor. The only problem is that I keep that thing on an island year-round. I used to do minor work such as plugs, starters, alternators, etc on my old truck.

Would a guy like me be able to get that motor apart and reassembled correctly? I do have the Polaris tech manual but wonder if the whole deal is better left to a professional. Thoughts?

If I'm going to need an engine hoist then the whole question ends right there.

A '97 Polaris...as in a twin, triple..??

I've tore a triple 800 out of a sled. They are heavy, but I did not need a hoist. Twin motors are lighter, of course.

Quote:
Would a guy like me be able to get that motor apart and reassembled correctly? I do have the Polaris tech manual but wonder if the whole deal is better left to a professional. Thoughts?

Personally, I won't touch crank seals, but I will repair everything else.

If you're just doing crank seals and nothing with the top end of the motor it's not too bad of a job. Pull the motor out, flip it upside down on a work bench, and take off the lower case half. Put on your new crank seals, reseal the case and put the motor back in the sled. It's really a lot easier then one would think. The only special tools you will need are a clutch puller and flywheel puller. Or bring the motor to a dealership and they could pop them off for a very minimal fee.

Skunked, how do you know you need a lower seal? One cheap way to test for it is to get a can of Gumout carb spray, start it up and spray around the seal. If the RPM's pickup then maybe you do have one there. Are you sure your rings aren't gone?

NAMA, nice rig your standing by, is that your's or a work rig? If it's your's are you still married! laugh those things are spendy!

NAMA, Did you paint it yellow? All that I have seen come in the white color. The reason I asked if you were married is because I had showen my wife those units at the fair one year, and when she heard the price. She said "well not when we're married". Huum something to think about! laugh Let me know if you ever need someone to help you pay for gas money someday. I would love to get in and try one of those out on the lake! wink

I've had my sled to the shop a couple times over the last few years. It loses power (goes from 50 or 60mph down to 20mph) and then regains power when I let off the throttle, kind of cycles back and forth. Trust me, the carbs have been pulled apart, cleaned, etc.

I've been told twice that the lower seals are shot. I didn't want to spend the $700-$800 so I figured that I would just run the machine into the ground. It's got about 2,700 miles on it.

This winter I started thinking about replacing the seals myself if it was just a labor intensive effort and not a hard job.

Leech, the rig was painted like that right from the factory. This particular machine was actually one of the first prototypes and they painted it just to see how it would look. The color is actually Ford utility yellow! Anytime your heading this way, just hollar....I'm out there every weekend anyway! (Skunded...sorry we kind of hi-jacked your thread!)

NAMA, Where do you head out of? I'm on my way up! smile No going to Mill lacs this weekend, but it would be great to run out with you one day if we could connect up somehow.

Ok sorry Shunked. You said the carbs have been gone through but have you had them synced up! Have all been set to open and closed together or have you had any running hot times? If they are not all running together one or two could be heating up and then pulling down the power, which is a good way to fry a cylinder. Also have you ran a compression check on each head to see if they are all the same and you don't have a bad cylinder already?. But try that Gumout spray on the seals when it's running, it does work and then you will know for sure.

NAMA, do you head out and spend the night in your rig or come in every night? shoot me an email, and maybe we can setup a weekend to meet for a day of running in that thing. I'll be driving up from the cities so I would need to make sure I can find ya. pineconesta/usfamily.com don't forget to change the / to @ Leech~~