• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beagles

Griggs

My fiance didn't grow up with dogs, but I've gotten her to agree on a Beagle (probably because they are smaller dogs). I'm not a hunter but a nature watcher and photographer. I know Beagles were bred to hunt rabbits but I'm wondering what other use their noses could be to me.

Does anybody have a Beagle? What types of activities do you do with it? I'd like to do some tracking games and go look for wildlife. Just looking for ideas and even resources on training.

Thanks

Yea I suppose I should specify, I've owned 100+ pound Goldens and Golden/Black Labs, so a Beagle to me is a small dog =)

The barking thing makes me pause, I'm used to the non barking Goldens... They bark, just not very often.

I've done some searching on this HSOforum and it looks like people have used Beagles for Rabbit/Coyote/Bobcat and even bird hunting. I'm thinking I could maybe use the Beagle for finding some of these animals...

They are a very busy dog. If you get them chasing anything, it would be best to have them chase rabbits as they just make a loop. If you get them chasing other animals, whenever they are loose and come across that scent, they will be hunting and gone. Very good dogs, but they do bark a fair bit and can be stubborn.

I have 2 beagles. I used them to hunt pheasants before I got into setters. Once you break a beagle to listen and obey they hunt fine. (If you come a cross a rabbit while hunting pheasant you better have a high power e-collar to turn the beagle around)They dont last long in tall grass, but they have a great nose. They are a great house dog.

ON A SIDE NOTE MOST BEAGLES WILL RUN AWAY WHEN THEY GET THE CHANCE. IT TAKES A LOT OF WORK TO GET ONE TO LISTEN OFF THE LEASH IN THE WOODS.

griggs,

I've owned a Beagle for the past 3 years, and while he is a handful, he is a character and brings joy to my life.

At first when they don't seem to listen, you might think they are dumb, but on the contrary they are quite intelligent. I swear I've seen my dog sit and think about how he is going to get that snack on top of the fridge.

Once thing I learned right away is that I can pretty much get him to do anything I want with a little food.

The barking can be a problem, but a good quality bark collar will take care of all that.

Don't let him out of your sight outdoors, they love to run. Here again, all I need to do is say, "you want a treat" and he'll come running from miles away smile

A fenced yard comes highly recommended.

Be careful overfeeding, as they don't know when to quit. Regulate closely. My Beagle weighs in the high 30's and a bit overweight, and I feed 1 cup per day.

He's my bud though that is for sure:

100_0424.jpg

hound.jpg

PictureorVideo004.jpg

My grandpa had beagles for hunting rabbits when I was younger. They stayed in a kennel when they weren't hunting. I remember them being escape artists, and very intense hunters. They are supposed to have an awesome nose. This might make them good for human tracking. It could start as a game of hide and seek with the kids, and turn into working with a volunteer rescue squad or something similar. I think that would be a good way to use a working dog even if you are not a hunter.

I had a beagle for 13 years. up until he was about 10 , once he got out side the only cammand he knew was "Run like the wind" so you may as well say it to him because they are out hunting and gone. I loved the little guy even when he ate my house, holes in the sheet rock, metal thing on the bottom of fridge, claw off 100 year old claw foot table. They are great with kids and very loyal.

My lab has a best friend - a beagle. The neighborhood beagle can be seen a couple miles from his owners home. He comes over in the middle of the night, during the day or 5am and scratch at the door to play.

Although, he knows my lab is not allowed to play outside the fenced in area. He will run over to the fence and want to get let in (very smart).

I think the owner has given up on his "travels" since he always comes home at the end of the night. Everyone in the area knows who "moose" is.

Beagles are hounds and as such really aren't as biddable as a Lab or Golden. Don't get me wrong--they are trainable but you really have to work at it--their drive to hunt sometimes overpowers their good sense. Same with the barking-- some are really open because it's in thier genes.