• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's a '96 Bearcat worth

MJCatfish

2,000+ miles, two cracks in the seat cover, wear rods seem pretty good as do the hyfax. Hood and skiis are in great shape as well as the track.

The sled itself looks to be in pretty good shape. I believe it needs a carb cleaning and some gas line repairs. Otherwise,I think it's all good. The owner used it all last winter, but hasn't been able to start it this year.

What kind of price would you put on this? I'm looking into buying one. Thanks,

MJ

I had a 2000 bearcat 440 w/ 136" track that I sold for 2K about 3 years ago...great sleds..You didn't say which motor or track it had? they had lots of options in track lengths and motors some of those years..I wouldn't go over $1500 if it's not currently running..

If it is the 550, it would be around $2000 running, and like Jerkin'm said, no more than $1500 not running. It could be more than just the carbs. What size is it, I have a friend that has 2 340 Bearcat and is thinking of selling one. I can see if he is still thinking about it if they are big enough for you.

Thanks for the replies, guys. It is the 440 two-cylinder, probably one of the more popular engines that suzuki put out for Arctic, I'm guessing? Not sure of the track. It is quite long. It has the two-up seat and the basket racket on the back if that helps.

Brought it to a friend who works on my atv to check it over and he will let me know what kind of shape it's in. I'll keep you posted. He did take a quick compression check and got about 80 psi from each cylinder. It should be around 120, but, it hasn't been run in a while. Will that be a big factor?

It's main purpose will be to get out fishing and back. Also like to take a little trail ride from time to time.

Thanks,

MJ

Compression is about the biggest factor...If that's the real compression I would steer clear..If it had the real long wide track I would think that 440 would be a little on the small side in deep snow and pulling your ice house..If you are thinking of trail riding with it I would look elsewhere..they ride super rough...

The 440 fan Suzukis are bulletproof. However, the 80psi concerns me if that test was done correctly. When I had compression in that range on my old (liquid) 440 it wouldn't run...Maybe that's why this Bearcat won't start? wink

My guy got it running with little effort and the pressure came up. He figured it would continue to rise as it ran some. I took it out tonight for an hour ride or so and it ran like a top.

He ran through it and said it all looked good. Thanks for the input on my thoughts and questions. It is much appreciated!

I'll decide tonight or tomorrow whether this sled is mine or not!

MJ

I'm writing the check after work and pickin' up the reg. card from the owner.

Does $550 sound pretty good? I think it does compared to what I heard from you guys and what I heard from my mechanic and what I searched for on the internet!

Thanks again! The last time I owned a snowmobile was when I was about 12. My dad had a SkiDoo Nordic 399E. Brings back good memories!

MJ