• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? about studded track

cliffy

Let me start of by saying that I am rather new to the snowmobile world. In the past, I have always had to borrow a friends sled if I wanted to go riding..so I have limited experience.

I recently bought my first sled (used Yamaha) and I noticed the paddles (or whatever you call it) on the track were rather worn down. A buddy came over tonight and measured and they are about a half inch or less.

My buddy has offered to sell me and install a one inch studded track (about 225 studs). I have driven a sled in the past that was studded and I liked the stopping ability.

I reviewed the DNR HSOforum on the rules and if I understand it correctly, there are certain paved trails that studded tracks are not allowed? I guess I have never driven on any of them...as most of my riding is done on the lake or trails in a local State Park.

What are the pro and cons of a studded track? How many of you have studded tracks...and should I go for it? Thanks for any help.

Cliffy

Are there studs on the outer edge of the track? With that many, I am guessing there are. Thats real agressive, and running them on the outer edge, tends to destroy the track if they rip out. I have always used a non-studded track, but when you get the slush on the lake or when its icy, they sure would come in handy. also, if you are running in low snow or icy conditions, I would pick up a set of ice scratchers. they will save slides and cool you machine more effectively.

Good question...and I dont know the answer to it. He did stay it was a rather aggressive studded track...so you are probably correct.

Ice Scrathers? What is that?

Thanks for the info.

Cliffy

I think your current track should be fine for a while, unless some of your lugs are missing, or you have tears in it. camoplast makes some nice tracks. ice ripper or rip saw and you could always stud them, but would probably stick to 96 or so if you do it. ice ripper has ice screws in the lugs if im not mistaken.

Cliffy, what kind of sled, what size motor, and how do you intend to use it?

225 studs is a lot by most standards, even for an aggressive rider. And if you do go with that many, you will need to put on some pretty long carbides on the skis to offset their grip if you want to be able to turn as well. Track life is directly affected by studs and riding style. Studs will, without question, shorten track life.

I ride quite a bit, I've had sleds with a lot of studs and sleds with less studs and now a sled with none. I find that combined with todays better tracks, with the experience I have gained in those miles I find I need them far less and put myself in less positions to need them. I doubt that I will ever use them again. If you are using the sled mostly on ice for pulling a fish house, thats another story.

Its a Yamaha Vmax 600. I bought it with the intention of just pulling my fish house around the lakes. However, I am really enjoying some trail riding...mostly ditches and one state park back where my family lives near Pelican Rapids MN. I would say that 80 percent of the time it will be used for just pulling my portable around the local lakes and the few trips I make to LOTW.

On average, what does a new track cost?...its just a short one person sled...115 inches I think from tip to end. My buddy was offering this track and installation for around the 300.00 dollar mark. Would I be better off just getting a new track without studs and making a deal with him to put it on?

You can find good used tracks for cheaper that $300.

Find out the size of track you need....most likely 121x15x1" (maybe 1.25" lugs).

IMO 225 is excessive for the riding it sounds like you do. I would probably run no more than 144, and 96 would be adequate. If you get on glare ice you will have more trouble turning with 225 studs.

I have been riding steady for 15 years. My wife and I have owned numerous machines. I would not own a sled that wasn't studded nor would I let my wife ride one that wasn't studded. Been there, done that, BIG mistake. We are aggressive trail riders. But even more so for novices. Icy corners the sled spins out. Hills you cant climb. stopping ability. Spinouts on icey surfaces, etc, etc. As for the Minnesota trails I cannot ride on? To $^%* with them. All those towns I used to ride no longer get my business or anyone I have ever known that rides.

The stud debacle Minn put on several years ago (and believe me I danced. Bought every year stud sticker they had) will forever put a sour tasted in my mouth. I havent ridden Minn in several years and I live here. Wisconsin all the way. Sometimes Michigan but never Minnesota. Maybe someday again but then I will have to buy a trails sticker!

And now I will offer a totally opposite opinion. If you hadn't expressed that you will use the sled for icefishing, I would haved suggested that there is no need for studs at all. They will come in handy on the ice when there is little or sparce snow ontop of the ice.

That is alot of studs. With that many you will need to instal more aggressive carbides on the skis to keep from pushing through corners. They will run you about $60. Personally unless you are an agressive rider I would not recommend studs especially 225 of them. I found a new track for mine for $225 last year (121 inch polaris.)

And now I will offer a totally opposite opinion. If you hadn't expressed that you will use the sled for icefishing, I would haved suggested that there is no need for studs at all. They will come in handy on the ice when there is little or sparce snow ontop of the ice.

I can agree with that. As for number of studs 96 will give you safety and ability to climb icy hills. I use 144 on my hi-[PoorWordUsage] sleds and have found no reason to go higher for my use. They are not the funnest things to install but not really difficult either. The key is uniformity and number of scratch lines. Uniformity first so your track remains more balanced. I have always used a template to determine locations. I've had excellent luck with plastic backers using steel nuts.

First, sorry it has been awhile since I could respond..been gone. Seconds, Thanks for all the info provided. I think I am going to pass on the studded track and just use what I have for the remainder of the season. I will keep my eye out for a new track for next season. Thanks again for all the responses.

Cliffy