• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hinckley or Alexandria

dustin85

We have lots of snow in the alex area, but also way more riders than usual (probably due to christmas break). Large groups are putting a toll on the trails. I was right behind a groomer on 1/1/09, and when I came back on the the same trail 5 hours later it was really rutted out. If you stay away from the central lakes trail, the state park area, and the trail that runs on the north side of miltona there is some great riding in the area. My suggestion would be to ride the 2-pole trail east out of alex and make a big circle east and north. If you can make it during the mid-week after the groomers have been out, you'll have a great ride. It's the best riding we've had in years, but it can get rough quick on the weekends.

Just got back from a weekend in Alex. It was awesome. but as stated above there was tons of riders and it was taking a toll on some of the trails. we did lots of off trail riding in powder that wasn't even touched yet. few places we stopped off the sleds in snow up to our knees.

For future reference one trick I use when planning a long range sled trip is to pick at least two areas. Get a motel reservation at both. Check cancellation policys but they are usually 1 week or even less. Then a week or so before trip pick the spot that has the best snow. This has worked well on low-snow years. This year looks like one where everyplace should be rideable now or soon. Get intel too. Call a local snowmobile dealership. Motels often exaggerate to get your business. Dealerships tend to be more honest. Local government trail reports are usually pretty fair as well. Check out John Dee HSOforum for decent snowdepth info everywhere.

Go to 2nd exit past Hinckley and take off from there into Nemadji. Not a lot of people ride in there and you get some lake effect on the northern side.

I'll second this. Lots of good trails along Banning Junction, Askov, Nickerson, over to Willow River and Moose Lake. Pretty much any where along Hwy 23. This area gets over looked alot as people are heading up to Duluth or North Shore. Trails dont get rode much, and are groomed regulary.

Just an FYI. Gas is available in Askov,Duquette and Nickerson. The bar in Holyoke burned down a few years ago also. Ringers in Askov has a good menu selection. Have fun. Hopefully we will be out there also.

We rode about 200 miles last night and this morning. Went to St Croix state park. Those trails were a little rough. The Lady at the office there said their groomer was out of service for a few days. We took the trails north towards Nemadji, and also went west of Hickley. I thought the ditches and trails were good out there. Had a great time with no major crashes, injuries or break-downs!

Dustin

Just rode 50 miles Saturday afternoon in St. Croix state park. Beautiful ride at night with full moon coming up. Groomer was out late PM and the trails had lots of snow. We ride slow 15 to 25 mph. Really enjoyed the two fires in the warming house at the end of our days ride.