• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have to admit something...

Scoot

I've gotten soft. Today is the last day of the ND archery season and if I don't shoot a deer today, I'll eat tag soup (actually, two bowls because I didn't shoot a deer with my lifetime license in MN either). I had the choice to stay home with the wife and kids to watch the Vikings in a warm, cozy home or take my last crack at filling my ND tag in the below zero temps of today's post-storm fun. For the first time in my life, I chose to stay home and stay warm.

I've spent a ton of time with the wife and kids over the past two weeks, so I didn't feel bad about going out hunting one last time. My decision was based on the fact that it's dang cold, I'd likely get stuck a time or two where I was headed, and I'd definitely freeze my kiester off while in the stand. It's official- I'm a wimp and I don't deserve a deer this year. This is the first time I've ever chosen to stay inside in the warmth instead of sitting in the stand. Have I finally picked up a hint of common sense/wisdom or am I just officially a Nancy-boy?

I hear ya Scoot! If you're a nancy-boy then I am too. I'd say that we're just wise though. I was off work all last week and failed to fill my arcery tag for the year. Thats because I didn't get out either. The weather in the fish house was much nicer.

Scoot, the older one gets the less important the deer are or shall I say the family takes its rightful place.

I look at it this way, I can always shoot a deer but I could not make up a grandchilds missed birthday party I missed because of a deer.

I did the same thing on the last few days of the season, felt darn good to be out of the cold. Had plenty of opportunities earlier in season-allways seeking the trophy. Choosing family is a good thing! Next year will come soon enough for all of us.

I did the same thing yesterday exept it was regards to ice fishing. The thought of busting and shoveling a trail to my fish house in 10 below weather just wasn't very appealing. I stayed home with the family, played games,watched the vikes. Had a great time.

Yeah, I had a nice time playing with the little ones. Unfortunately, I wasn't disappointed with the Vikings because that's what I expected (actually, it was closer than I expected). Still, I think I'm getting soft in my old age...

Yeah, I hear ya. I had a wonderful archery season and enjoyed every second of it! I don't need to shoot a deer to have a ton of fun while bowhunting.

However, I have to disagree about not enjoying sitting in the stand when it's -10 or -20. There's something seriously wrong with me, but I really love it when it's really crappy out and I get out in the woods. Maybe I'm a masochist, but I love the idea of being out there when most people won't. About a decade ago I hunted every day from the day after Christmas Day until the last day of the season and it was cold... I mean really cold. The WARMEST it was when I left the house to go sit was -11 and the WARMEST it was when I got back was -19. It was pretty windy too. I know I'm sick, but I loved it! I got a crack at a buck on the second to the last day too, but I hit a tree limb and missed him.

Like I said before, I must be getting soft, wise, or like harvey lee suggested, maybe I'm actually growing up enough to reprioritize things a little bit...

It seems to me lately I am doing alot of the same. I really do enjoy the outdoors, but I like spending time with my wife and daughter at home too. It use to be I would use the weather as an excuse to be in the woods or on the water, now it seems I use it to spend time at home, call it age or ?

Mark