• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

polaris stuck shifter

slurpie

Got a 2005 polaris 700 twin. After pulling the stationary fish hoouse the shifter froze. I took it in the heated garage and thawed it off for a day then drained the transmission oil.That is what the dealer said to do. Then took it outside and drive around and it worked for awhile. if its in low gear it ets froze there and you cant take it out or put it in any other gear. any thouhts are appreciated.

I had the exact same problem, bought a 500, plowed the driveway for a hour then it stuck in reverse, turned out being a linkage problem right at the shifter. I forget if I shortened or lenghtened the linkage. It was an easy fix but it happened again about 3 hours later, I brought it to the nearest dealer and traded it on a Honda.

D.Boedigheimer wrote: I brought it to the nearest dealer and traded it on a Honda.

Smart man! I forgot, but this had happened to mine a couple times and it was the linkage as well. Brought it to the dealer, they said it was fixed, brought it home, pulled up to the plow to hook it up, and I had no reverse! Back to the dealer and a few more fix it trips later I sold it and got a Yamaha!

Had a '00 Polaris SP500 that had some issues but nothing severe. Mine was a case of adjusting the shifter linkage as well as the idle speed was too high. It was fine after that.

Also had a Suzuki Vinson which also had shifter issues (auto). This was a case of the dogs on the gears in the transmission. They changed the design to fix the problem.

Had an '03 Bombarider DS 650 that didn't like to shift once in a while. This was caused by the one time I didn't use synthetic oil as recommended by the mfgr (my fault).

Had a Kawi KFX700 with no issues. Different shifting mechanism than Roofer's Kawi.

Currently own a Honda Rincon. The issue I have with the shifter is it can be bumped out of gear too easily if a branch were to hit it.

Polaris has the least amount of problems with the shifter linkage, being it is now inline.

When did they put the linkage inline? Polaris and Arctic Cat are actually the only ones I've heard of with linkage issues. Can am's got the "Outy hump" going for them to.

Do you guys get commision for talking polaris's up?

Yeah, I owned only one. Several of my friends tried 'em, and came to the same conclusion as me. I would like to see a person like me who "uses" their equipment, and doesn't just baby their machine on trails, have a popo for awhile and see if they hold up?

I know of a few Polaris's that should be in pieces, LEP's included. There is a difference in use and abuse, and there is a difference when you get a bad one. We bought two that were exactly the same. Both ridden very similar. One was always better than the other. Just happens. Same with other brands I have tried. One Kawi was great, the other was not very good.

Believe it or not, I have friends and family that will buy nothing but Polaris.

I would like to see a person like me who "uses" their equipment, and doesn't just baby their machine on trails, have a popo for awhile and see if they hold up?

I raced XC on mine for the last 3 years, never had a problem.

I also saw Daryl Rath race last year in a couple races down in Iowa. He also raced a polaris for the first time last year in the GNCC's and did really well.