• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

catching ellepout

i was hoping someone could help me out. These fish sound interesting and have never tried or caught one of them. Is there any lakes or rivers around st croix county to catch these fish. and how do you fish them and what can i expect for numbers of fish caught.

pbow,
Can't help you on lakes in the area, but I usually catch them where the walleyes would be but later. Night bite is the best. I prefer a dead stick with a plain hook and a big piece of minnow on it. Either live or dead doesn't seem to matter. I prefer alive becuase that way you can still get an eye or two. Than jig the other.

Typically they are a deeper fish as well. I understand that they spawn in the winter time as well. So 25-60 feet is pretty usualy depths. Here in Minnesota, good lakes are....
Mille Lacs
Leech
Lake of the Woods
Ottertail

Probably in that order. Lots of other lakes for the freshwater cod family creature. They are fun to catch. An awesome fighter. I do know that Superior has some as well. Chemequan(sp) probably has some in it.

Good luck with your quest.

i don't think you'll find much for 'pout down in st. croix county. i know leach lake is a hot spot, with the eelpout festival and all. seems like you need a pretty good size lake. don't know too many people that actually fish for them. i've heard they eat pretty well though!

------------------
Dan in Webster
Campion Log Works

I never heard of eelpout until I fished MN.. I don't think any inland waters in WI. have them, I would imagine the great lakes do(?). Whether or not they'd be worth trying for, I wouldn't think so. I fished LOTW last week. When the sun went down the pout went crazy! About 25 pout in less than a hour. I've caught pout in several MN. lakes, they're common to most waters there.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

Lake Superior has tons of Pout. Up here in Superior we get them in the St.Louis, Namadji and Amnicon rivers. Best way to catch them is a big glow jig or spoon and either smelt or crushed minnows. Drop to bottom and then tight line it. You will feel them mouthing it and set the hook. When they are agressive a pounding of the bottom will catch ya many of these tasty cod. At times Ive had them chase a jig up to 5' off bottom and hit it.