• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snow and ice buildup

DrJ

I'm a novice with my snowmobile. Last weekend we were icefishing and the underside was filled with snow and slush. It's now outside in the trailer and the slush is probally frozen now. Do I have to worry at next use or will it run okay and not hurt the underside? I don't have a good way to melt it away from the track. Thanks for your help. DrJ

Just pick up the rear of the sled and slam it to the ground a few times to break the ice up and it should be fine.

Afterwards, it also helps to lift the rear so the track is off the ground and open the throttle till the track spins nicely.

As mentioned lift it up an drop it to try to get rid of all or a lot of the frozen slush if it's actually under the tunnel. If it's on the rear skid picking it up an dropping it should take care of it for the most part....unless it's really bad and packed into the shock or compression areas of the skid. Probably would not hurt it but could limit travel.

There is potential it could cause the sled to over heat if it is thick enough under the tunnel that it stays under the sled and covers the entire cooler. The ice right next to the cooler will melt but the rest will keep the cooler covered thus preventing snow from reaching the cooler. I have had this happen a couple times.

If your skidframe is packed full, it can create some problems. It is best to get it out or the majority of it. I have been in remote areas and seen guys get everyhing packed full of slush and leave it sit over night and everything is froze rock solid and they can't go anywhere until they get it. The worst part is chipping it away in the cold and miles away from help.

Best thing is to spin the track clean before letting it sit. Have someone lift the back and just hit the throttle a couple times.

Slush or not I always bounce mine a couple times before heading out just to break up any ice that might be under there from normal riding.

In your situation if it is too much to break up....the car wash idea should work.