• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MTN Riding

MN Mike

I'm sure most of you have heard about the avalanches happening over the last few days, extremely unstable snow out there when you hear people triggering slides remotely with either sleds or just skiing. Suprising how wide spread the unstable snow is this year.

If you heading west, get snow stability and avalanche reports for your area, boondocking might be the best option for sometime to come out west.

Mike

I just shake my head reading the avy reports for Cooke City the last couple days, here are a couple quotes from the email:

12/30/2008

Cooke City is getting snow like bankers are getting bailout money. It’s dumped for the last 8 days dropping 4.4 inches of Snow Water Equivalency (SWE) or almost 5 feet of snow. Over half that amount fell in the last 48 hours which I experienced in all its fury during my field visit. Sunday and Monday were a blizzard with typhoon winds loading slopes at all elevations and aspects. Evidence of instability was everywhere, even with poor visibility. Yesterday, a natural avalanche in Miller drainage hit the road with 4 foot piles of debris. On Sunday I triggered a large avalanche from flat terrain on Henderson Ridge. It slid on faceted snow 1.5 feet off the ground on a low angled, 33-degree slope.

12/31/2008

The southern mountains finally got a reprieve from snowfall yesterday. But things were not quiet. Skiers and snowmobilers triggered slides around Cooke City. Republic, Henderson, Fisher, Miller and Scotch Bonnet Peaks all had slab avalanches release in the last 48 hours. A snowmobiler got buried. Outside West Yellowstone the mountains had many crowns lacing the ridgelines from natural avalanche activity. The snowpack is extremely sensitive and you’ll find avalanches again today.

Yesterday, three snowmobilers were sitting on the flats below the south face of Crown Butte outside Cooke City. They had their sleds turned off when another rider on an adjacent hill unknowingly triggered the slope above them. They fired up their machines and full throttled out, but one rider’s snowmobile took one pull too many and he lost the race with the avalanche. He was tumbled for 100 yards. He was wearing an ABS airbag pack as well as a beacon. When he pulled the handle of the ABS it broke off in his hand without deploying! As soon as the slide stopped his two partners saw the ski and skid plate of the sled sticking out of the snow, rushed over and found a glove and boot wiggling frantically. They dug him up and the buried rider was ok. Even though they were in the flats, they were exposed to the runout zone of the avalanche path above them. This close call is a reminder to be extra careful since its dangerous to even be near avalanche terrain right now. We are continuing the Avalanche Warning since avalanches are likely and a HIGH danger exists on all slopes in the southern mountains.

Sometimes you have to climb to find those tucked away sweet spots for boondocking but when you have conditions like this, they will have to wait til next time.

Sounds like plans are in the making for the weekend of the 24th of January, have a scratch that needs to be itched. My Feb. is looking dismal for snowmobile trips. I don't like the thought of going out in January, snow is too unstable but when it looks like I will have to wait til March, I might have to make an exception and play it safe.

How about yourself or anyone else, any trips planned?

Mike

I was contemplating taking the kid out West for the first time this year. It likely wasn't going to work due to scheduling, but honestly when I started hearing about these conditions, I lost a lot of incentive to try to make it work. It sounds scary out there right now...

It might be dangerous out there but the boonedocking will be unreal! just stay off the hills if thats the way it has to be, everybody thinks the mtns are all up and down riding but that is far from the truth, lots of fun to be had in the meadows and trees.

CB,,,, Nope, no new M yet BUT I have been sled shoppin'. Dad sold his sled last night and we went and looked at a few today. Mostly touring types, YIKES is there a lot to choose from but I sure like those T660's, glad MY decision will be easy!

Don't sweat the mtns and the bad reports, just use your head and be cautious and one last thing, SNOBUNJE, if you don't know what they are, you probably will after your done if there's still lots of powder to be had.

Mike

I see that Colorados' been oink'n all fall / winter this year, heck, I thing a couple ski resorts were open BEFORE we got out there Elk hunting this year, don't think I ever remember that happening before. I've got a buddy that lives in Snowmass, he hasn't even touched his sled yet, he said it's dangerous around there too, I think his wife is ok with the sled sitting in the shop for now.

Burandt is crazy! fun to watch though, you better book a ride with him and let us know how it goes grin he's not too far from Rabbit Ears and Buffalo Pass, I see Buffalo was at 55" last week.

It's sounding pretty good that we are heading to Cooke in a few weeks, 3 of us for sure, one more that has to run it past the wife then he will let us know.

Mike

Burandt is the best!!! I will be going out and riding with him some time, i want to see him ride with my own eyes.

That sled would just rip!!! I don't think i want a turbo sled, just to much money to roll down the hill smile I think i would just get some stuff from speedwerks.

How would the warranties work on that motor with a turbo on it??

OK guys...leaving tomorrow for Detroit Lakes to sled with the father in law before we head for Idaho 6am Sunday morning. A good long week of sledding!!!

Question regarding the riding out there. Is it fairly common to get thrown off the sleds out there or to just fall off? I would imagine so when carving, climbing, etc.

The reason I ask is I am wondering if I would have an opportunity to carry my good camera one of the days, or if I should just plan on taking the point and shoot. The good camera would weight about 3 lbs and be in my back pack.

Oh you'll spend plenty of time off the sled. At least you will if you're having fun. The fun stops when you dig the sled out for what seems to be the 100th time. With that said, my buddy carries his full size 35mm in a windshield bag. I don't think you'd have a problem with one in a backpack, especially for a day. If you're worried about hurting the camera because you fall on it or whatever, I don't think that will be a problem. Of the times I've dismounted I almost always landed on one side or the other.

Have fun. Are you going to Island Park?

Have fun. Are you going to Island Park?

Yep, heading to Island Park. They haven't gotten much snow in the past two weeks but did get a good 2-4" earlier this week. Sounds like there is a decent base out there so hopefully we find some stuff to play in. Temps are supposed to be in the mid to high 30's this weekend, and no chance for new snow until mid-late next week.

It will really depend on how you ride, Most of the time i get thrown off the sled but not really hard, You are just carving in the snow and catch a edge and it throws you into the snow. (kind of fun) Most of the time you land in powder so you camera should be just fine. I have a Backpack that i ride with and my camera is always in there. (with a shovel on the outside of the pack) I have never had any problems with braking it. I would rather have it in my back pack then in the back of the sled just because it will get thrown around more in the sled.

Just make sure you put it in a bag so it doesn't get wet.

Have fun and make sure to keep us posted!!! smile