• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dry skin

Fish&Fowl

I've noticed my black lab scratching a lot more lately, along with small dandruff flakes that weren't there a couple months ago. I imagine the cold, dry weather of northern MN is the culprit. Does anyone have any good ideas of supplements or other ideas that will help keep his coat looking and feeling good for the next few months? Any info much appreciated.

We have used a fish oil (Omega-3 fatty acids) supplement in our labs' food to help. Also a raw egg with a meal every once in a while. You could also give them a can of tuna or salmon with the oil.

When we wash them we use an oatmeal, oatmeal and tea or banana and oatmeal shampoo.

Just bought some salmon oil that's rich in omega 3 and all that jive from L&M Fleet Supply. $16 for a 24 oz. bottle, looks like you need a tspoon for every 10 lbs. the dog weighs. I'll let you guys know if I notice a difference.

It's a lot cheaper to just buy the "human grade" fish oil capsules from Target, Walmart, Walgreens, etc.

My recommendation would be a good fish oil that is pharmaceutical grade or molecular distilled (removes toxins and metals), that contains the proper ratio if EPA to DHA (2:1), and contains Vit E (protects the oil from oxidization).

The one I use is: Nutri-west Complete Omega-3 Essentials

Here's what the label says : A convenient source of Pharmaceutical Grade, Molecular Distilled Omega 3 fish oil (from cold water fish), providing a dietary source of 600 mg of EPA (from fish) 300 mg of DHA (from fish), 100 mg of Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA) from Flax Seed Oil, 100 i.u. Natural Vitamin E (D-Alpha Tocopherol), 100 mg of Black Currant Seed Oil (GLA).

This Omega-3 oil is tested and complies with the CRN monograph for all contaminants including PCB's, all dioxins, arsenic, cadmium, mercury, strontium, lead and peroxide value.

311Hemi,

I have a similar supplement in the capsule form that is for human use. It says 72 mg EPA and 48mg DHA. Also 15 IU of Vitamin E and 212 mg of Alpha-Linolenic Acid.

These numbers are much smaller than what you have listed, except the ALA which is almost twice what you mentioned. Are you using capsules or actual oil?

Well, I am currently using capsules which obviously contain the oil. I poke them with a pin and squeeze them out on to the dogs food. I will be moving to a bottle of the same fish oil vs the capsules because it is a decent amount cheaper, but it needs to be refrigerate and probably smells a little more so it's a little more of a pain to deal with.

I guess what I'm saying is that your ingredients seem to have higher amounts of the things you mentioned that the ones I listed. I'm wondering how many of these capsules I should be giving him. I'll probably call the vet and see what they recommend as well.

Would I expect to see increased hair loss from scratching? He seems to be losing a lot more hair and showing a little dandruff lately.

I'm wondering how many of these capsules I should be giving him. I'll probably call the vet and see what they recommend as well.

Calling your vet would be my recommendation.

I am not a vet nor educated in nutrition, but I do have an acquaintance educated in nutrition and trust what he says. The numbers in your fish oil seem very low. From what I have been told many experts recommend 1000-1500mg total per day of fish oil. I was also told that if the formula is a complete (such as the product I mentioned) that the 600mg EPA/day + 300 DHA in the one single capsule is adequate (the label recommends 2/day). I did briefly ask about the formula you are giving and the ratio is not 2:1 (which is ideal), nor did he feel there was enough Vit E to keep the fish oil from oxidizing once it was in the dog (there was enough to keep it from that while in the capsule).

Something to think about. If you need to give multiple capsules/day to get the recommended intake of omega 3's then buying a cheaper supplement might end up costing you more than a good quality one that you pay a little more for.