• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aftermarket or OEM?

MattL

Last weekend I blew the clutch out in my Sportsman 500. I started taking it apart myself today and came to the point where I need to purchase some parts. The drive clutch is busted in many places so I am looking to purchase a complete clutch assembly. My dilemma is that an OEM clutch is about $425 and the aftermarket clutch is about $300.

Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share with aftermarket vs. OEM parts? If you would recommend an aftermarket clutch, what brand would you choose?

get the kit from HPD. Talk to Daryl and he will get you setup for your specific machine and style of riding.

also when re-assembling make sure to use the proper tools and get your primary and secondary lined up correctly. Also while your in there take a look at your clutch buttons on both the primary and secondary clutches. HPD can get you a set that will last a lot longer than the stock ones.

I have a clutch kit in my 500 it made the world of difference.

I would have the dealership check to see if there's any service bulletins or recalls. I have heard of the SP500's grenading clutches before.

A former co-worker had one explode and come through the clutch cover. We thought it was a fluke since we've never heard of the issue before. This one was 8 years ago, but I've heard of a couple others besides yours that have done the same thing.

Well I did a little research and I am going to get a clutch puller tomorrow and take it off. Hopefully I can rebuild the clutch from the bottom up if it's worth it. I will assess the condition of the remaining parts and possibly replace the bolts, spacers, and bushings with OEM replacements, but I will likely go with aftermarket weights and springs to give me a little more towing power and a little less top end speed.

LEP7MM, I will definately check with a Polaris dealer about any recalls before hand. I am not sure what caused this, but the clutch basically exploded and blew the clutch components apart and through the cover while I was casually driving through snow on the lake.

exact same thing that happened to my co-worker. Parts came through the cover.

I used to work for a place that made parts for Polaris and AC. But that was 20 years ago. I'm not 100% certain where they get their components from now.

I will echo what the other guys were saying and recommend going with aftermarket. I've ridden a Scrambler 400 with the Hot Seat kit and it really wakes them up. But that was a 2-stroke with the exhaust to go with the clutch kit.

It may work to rebuild it from remaining parts, but you shouldn't mix and match parts on the drive clutch since they are a balanced unit. your better off buying a whole unit off e--bay or something

thats just my experience. Ive done alot to tuning and modding on these clutches

what is all broken? is it the spring? Or is it the spider and tower? If I were you I would look closely for chipped parts on the towers as well as the spider nut

if your looking for performance like I said talk to HPD thats where I get my clutch setups from. Also look into the TEAM secondary or the HPD secondary clutch kit to go with your primary clutch kit.