• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nilsmaster 6 inch hand auger

Ranckenstuff

Question

Purchased a Nilsmaster 6 inch hand auger.

Popped some holes on Sunday. Impressed on the duration and ease of the cut.

I am having some issues getting the auger back out of the hole after the drill job.

It seems I have to reverse the cutting motion upward. Kind of a pain in the [PoorWordUsage]. But that's why I am posting here. Also, the drilling process seems a little different than my old mora 8inch. It seems the nils wobbles a little back and forth during the drill.

Is this "operator error"?

How do existing owner's fair with this auger? Anyone ever have to replace the blades?

5 answers to this question

The handle of a nills is much different than all others. With others, you push down with one hand and rotate with the other. With a nills you do not push down. Both hands have to turn, the head should not wobble. Unfortunatly, this is operator error. It takes some practice, but once you get the hang of it, you will love it.

I hate to tell you but it sounds like you are drilling in an angle. It takes a while to get used to using both hands thus the wobble. Also do not press down at all!

Quick rotating motion with both arms without pressure will do the trick.

It takes some getting used to the offset handle. Once you get it down you'll be drilling straight with no wobble.

"How do existing owner's fair with this auger? Anyone ever have to replace the blades?"

I get a few 6" blades to sharpen from the Midwest but most are from out East. Have gotten some 4 1/2 blades from PA.

It would take a very large chip to have to replace the blade.