• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SM Laser Express or Strke-Lite

slarson

I want to get my first power auger. I know I want a Strikemaster but I am torn between the Laser Express and the Strike-Lite. I do 90% of my ice fishing in Iowa and rarely see ice thicker than 20 inches. I've been getting by with manual augers but want to have the ability to move around more when the ice gets thicker.

I understand the difference between the two that the websites state such as 4 stroke to 2 stroke. I am interested in comparisons in drilling speed. I also am interested in the noise factor. I hate when you hear someone fire up an auger and you think they are right next to you. Then you look out and they are over a 1/4 mile from you. Is the strike-lite that much quieter than the Laser express?

Any other comments on these two augers would be greatly appreciated.

Seth

Never used the stike lite, but have owned a Laser mag express for 6 yrs. I love this auger. It cuts darn fast with no effort at all, just let it do all the work. Also, when cold, it's a 2 pull start, every time, warm is 1. As far as weight, I don't consider it a heavy auger. I've drilled 60 holes a pop before and didn't feel winded afterwards.

And as far as the noise, I'd say it's among one of the quietest augers out there. I know what you're talking about with some of those augers. You wonder if they're drilling a hole, or drag racing down the ice.

I had a lazer mag for about 8 yrs until it got ripped off. This is my 4th year (or 3rd? confused I can't remember this stuff.) with the strikelite I got as a replacement.

The cutting speed is pretty comparable. The lazer mag might be just slighty faster.

The strikelite is definitely quieter both when it's idling and when you're drilling. It still makes some noise when you're drilling though. It's a lot like comparing a 2 stroke and 4 stroke outboard, the 4 strokes are super quiet while idling and quieter at fuller throttle too, but the difference is not as great higher rpm's.

My lazer mag was great, but I'm glad I replaced it with a striklite.

Ps Try doing a search for "strikelite". There's lots of postings on them.

Glad to see some of the comments on this post. I have been using a Lazer mag express and also bought the electric lazer but was not happy witrh it.

This morning I picked up a new Strike Lite but have yet to use it, I will be setting it up tonight but anticipate parting ways with my 2 season old Lazer Mag Express.

If you don't mind an 8" hole get the Strike - Lite. I have one and would never buy anything different. Another plus is there is no gas to mix. It takes 91 octane.

I wouldn't say chaning the crankcase oil in the 4 stroke is any less of a hassle than dumping a few ounces of oil in the gas for the 2 stroke.

I also am interested in the noise factor. I hate when you hear someone fire up an auger and you think they are right next to you. Then you look out and they are over a 1/4 mile from you.

I might be in the minority on this ... but I acually like the sounds of augers on the ice and the smell of two stroke oil burning, all part of the ice fishing experience in my book smile

I've been very happy with my SM Lazer Express for 3 yrs. Friend has a Strike-Lite. Both very good augers, you'll be happy with either. If noise is really a concern, then you might want to consider a battery powered SM/Jiffy/IceGator.

noisy augers sound cool but whats that sound like under water could not imagine it. you think droppin something in the boat spooks fish drill a few holes in ten FOW or less and thier gone for sure. I know someone will prolly say they're used to it but really why make a seen just so someone knows your drilling c'mon this aint high school ne more. go with the express

I watched a show a few years ago where a guy in a dry suit under the ice metered the noise factor between drilling with a power auger,hand auger and a chisel. The chisel of coarse was the loudest but there was little to no difference from hand to power auger. With that being said I think the noise factor is mostly above the ice thing. Not to say that drilling of any kind doesn't spook the fish.

Originally Posted By: Bothun
If you don't mind an 8" hole get the Strike - Lite. I have one and would never buy anything different. Another plus is there is no gas to mix. It takes 91 octane.

I wouldn't say chaning the crankcase oil in the 4 stroke is any less of a hassle than dumping a few ounces of oil in the gas for the 2 stroke.

How often do you have to chage the Crankcase oil on the Strike-Lite?

If I was buying either one of these augers today, it would be the Laser Mag Express.

I just do not like the idea of plastic flights on an ice auger (Strike-Lite). I have heard in this forum, Strike Master will usually pick up the first breakage, but the second one is on the customer (I am sure it is not cheap). Then I have heard of leaking if it tips in your sled while moving around. I am sure it is not much, but the added maintenance as well for the 4 stoke. My Mag 2000 has been running strong since 96', with almost no maintenance grin.

Plus, you are talking about almost $200 in price difference between the two.

Also, go to a store that has both these augers on display. Pick each of them up. I could not notice any huge weight difference between the two.

Originally Posted By: Caleb S
Originally Posted By: Bothun

How often do you have to chage the Crankcase oil on the Strike-Lite?

Initial oil change after 20 hours of use. Once per year thereafter or every 100 hours, which ever comes first. I don't think that many people put over 100 hours on there augers.

I had to change the crank case oil once last year. I fished hard all winter and never had any problems with the flighting breaking. I understand where it could but if you take care of the auger like any other there shouldn't be any problems. I know some have switched out the flighting to I think the 224 for little to no cost when they order it and that has worked to.

If I had to make the choice again I would still go with the Strike-Lite.