• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice rod reel seat

I am finishing my first ice fishing rod. It has a really cool wooden handle that I found. I am thinking that a few straps of electrical just don't seem quite right to attach a reel to this rod, has anyone done anything more interesting to attach their reel and rod? Thanks

Fuji makes a plate type reel seat that might work? Iv'e seen pictures where people attached them to wood handles with thick rod wrapping thread and finished.

If you tape it try the rubber type tape that sticks to itself. I cant remember tha name of it but it can be found at automotive or the LowesDepot type places. The stuff is awesome and leaves no sticky residew.

Whe I get it finished, if it works, i'll post pictures but im working on a wooden handleed ice rod that has a reel seat but most of the seat is recessed into the wood. The first one ended up in the fireplace...

The smaller plate seats from Fuji work very well on ice rods. I make a normal all cork handle, place the seat on the handle, attach the seat with electrical tape, and try the rod/reel combination until I'm happy with the seat placement. Then I take of the tape, clean things up and use thicker rod wrapping thread to attach the reel seat. A little rod finish to lock in the thread and make things look good and you're all set.