• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dropshot Rig

kanerZ71

I was reading the atricle of dropshot rigging on the ice and also during the summer. I have been fishing 15+ years and have never heard of it. Either I'm not as seasoned as I thought or it is not very common.

Could someone please explain what it is???? I would like to try it this winter.

Thanks

you basically tie your hook on with a palomar knot. leave the tag end long and attatch a weight to the tag end. this puts the hook off the bottom at what ever hight you desire. a gentle shake of the rod tip will impart the action.

!

!

!

!

!hook

!

!

!

!weight

bottom.

surely you can find an actuall pic. this has been a popular bass rig for a few years.

Very basic explanation .....

The weight goes on the very end of your line, you use the weight to make contact with the bottom. There are specific weights for dropshotting but you can also make do with split-shot or walking-style sinkers. For ice fishing you don't need much weight.

Your hook goes a few inches above the weight, however far off the bottom you want your bait. Tie the hook on with a palomar know with a long tag end, and pass the tag end though the hook eye again to make the hook stand out from the line at a right angle. The weight attaches to the tag end. There are hooks specific for drop-shot rigs or you can use a small octopus or other hook.

Bait your hook, with something like plastics or a live minnow hooked through the lips, or waxies/euros, etc.

Drop it down until the weight hits the bottom, tighthen up the slack, jig it or deadstick it. Your bait is however far above the bottom you spaced the hook and the weight.

Dropshotting started with saltwater fisherman, like the surf casters. Then the fresh-water bass guys picked up on it, and now it is making an appearance in ice fishing circles.

do you just drop it down the hole and then shake it?

The few times of done it, i've used it on a noodle rod deadsticking for crappie on the river. Basically just drop it down so the weight just barely hits the bottom and starts to take tension off the rod, let it sit and watch the rod tip for movements up or down.

Try a Diachie Stand-Out hook about 1' up from a bullet weight that is kelp secured to the end of the tag line dropper with a tiny split shot. This rig allows for quick changes of weight as needed. If the weight gets snagged, simply put it off and rig another weight and shot.

A trick is to also add a couple glass beads above the weight to add noise as you tap it on the bottom. Perch dig this trick.

I prefer to use a long light deadstick rod with a fast tip when so you can load it up a bit at rest on a tight line. Than way if a fish comes up on it you see that immediately, and the rod lifts the weight of the shot so the fish will not spook. The longer deadstick rod allows for fast line pick-up as well.