• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Valuable Lesson

Flatlander

I was bowhunting up by Webster this weekend. Anyone that got out of their house knows how windy it was. I sat all day Friday in the cold rain, and all day Saturday in the wind and snow.

I finally caved in Friday afternoon, and put a relatively thin glove on my left hand. I had a solo doe come through the swamp and stood broadside at about 15 yards. Drew back, settled my pin and hit her a good 5 inches back(to the right) of where I was aiming. She jumped and walked a big circle around my tree, before tipping over 20 yards behind me.

This happened about 3:45, so I figured she'd be just fine until dark. About 4:20 a little forky came through, and didn't even notice his fallen compadre. Ten minutes later, another doe pops through the swamp and gives me another nice 20 yard broadside shot. She was facing the opposite direction as the first doe. I drew back, settled my pin and proceeded to shoot her through the near shoulder and out the neck on the other side(4 inches to the right of my aiming point).

She took off, and I heard her crash about 40 yds away. While I'm standing there trying to figure out why I can't shoot an arrow straight, I hear something behind me. The first doe somehow got to her feet, and started walking back to the swamp. I drew back, settled my pin and hit her about an inch in front of the first shot. She took off and crashed at the edge of the swamp.

At this point I'm afraid of all the shots, so I got out of my tree and snuck out of there. After about an hour, I went back out and found the first doe right where I saw her go down in the swamp, and the second doe was dead about 50 yards from my tree.

I got them back to the cabin, and then proceeded to check every possible screw, bolt whatever on my bow. Everything is tight. Why was I shooting 4-5 inches to the right at 20 yards???

The next morning I go outside and shoot a dozen arrows. Not one of them missed right. What the he....... And then it hit me. I put on that stupid glove last night. Sure enough. My bow sling got a little snug with the glove on, and I proceeded to shoot a 1" group, 4 inches to the right.

Needless to say, I have loosened up the sling a bit, and vowed never to wear a glove on my left hand again. You'll notice I did loosen up the sling anyway- I'm not as tough as I like to think I am.

I have never noticed a difference in where I hit due to a glove or a sling. I shoot with an open grip and the bow rests against the hand below the thumb.

Sounds like the sling is way too tight. My sling is very loose and I think it still would function if the bow were to attempt to fly out of my hand during a shot.

I have noticed a difference in where I hit when I put on a thick facemask or have a thick neck gaiter on. I need a new tight fitting facemask that goes down further and covers my neck.