• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass Swimbaits

Grunt L

Just got to know from someone who owns these.... Are the $30-$40 soft swimbaits like the Huddleston Deluxe or the SPRO hybrid BBZ worth it? The all seem very expensive vs some alternatives. I do not own any yet but looked at a few and just didn't see it for the prices they are asking for them.

Ouch, pricy. You pay less for a pounder (16 ounce muskie swim bait). Storm Swim Shads work alright. I'm sure those may work better, but at 10x the price around here where pike destroy plastics I'd probably avoid them.

Thanks. I have taken a few of these apart but was still a little confused as to why an 8" bass lure (rubber or hybrid) was 2-4x more than an 8" musky bait with similar product attributes. If you know me, I always look for opportunities (price point, quality, etc.). I also like to make big lures and anything above 6" qualifies for me. These big bass baits look perfect for musky/pike fishing but the price points really are high IMO. Thanks for the opinion.

I have been reading on another site a lot of reviews and information on both big swim baits and the equipment that is specially designed to throw these big baits. In my opinion, they are a waste of money here in the heartland. I have seen many different varieties of baits from a ton of manufacturers, 50 bucks seems like a low end price on some of the high quality hard swimbaits. At 50 bucks for a cheap one, I will pass. There are a lot of other ways that are more effective for catching big bass. Now say you were fishing some of the ultra clear lakes in Cali that have numbers of monster bass in them, they might be okay in a situation like that. But we are in Minnesota, and for the most part, our bass on the high end are in the 6 to 7 range for most lakes. You might eliminate bites from small fish using one of these lures, but I like to catch a lot of fish when I go out. Small fish put a smile on my face, might not be as big a smile as a 6 lber would pull, but you know the idea.

While I do make these types of lures honestlly when I go out to Waconia Lake or Tonka or even home to Iowa for a long bass fishing weekend I don't use my own lures! lol I use a good old fasion real or artificial worm or a nice marabou tailed RoadRunner.

Some of these baits work extremely well-- both for numbers and big bass. One bait we fished this fall was a Castaic Catch22-- the smaller 4 and 6-inchers. On really pressured waters, I don't honestly know if a better bait exists. These are soft swimbaits that sell for about $15 each, but they have a 22 bass guarantee. Worth it in my book.

_MG_2900-b-lores.jpg

smallmouth2b-2.jpg

Tonka- I had the chance to fish with Mr. Steve Hanson(pict with the smallie)a few years back during a sales mtg on Mille Lacs. we flat out beat up the smallies. He is a great hook and a great asset to the fishing industry! I know its one of the fishing days I will remember my whole life. Steve, if your reading this, we need to head out there again! Or at the very least need to catch up on old times and [PoorWordUsage]... Nice fish sir!