• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ashby area waterfowl

I'm heading up to Ashby this weekend for the pheasant opener and to do a little duck hunting in the mornings. Usually we have done really well in this area later in the season.

does anyone have any reports on how they did last weekend on the ducks?

Decent for us. Mostly teal, but had mallard, woodies, ringbill, butterball and gadwall. Saw redheads and of course cans. No geese, but saw an average amount. We had a good opener - not limits but a good variety and plenty of shooting. Good luck! Do you stay at Ashby Resort, or with frineds? If the resort tell Mike and Diane hi from Box's smile

Watch for Cans -- Christina has a bunch sitting out there so I'm guessing they'll get kicked around a bit this weekend. Good luck fellas - we've been hunting there for 25+ years and this is about as many birds as we've ever gotten for the opener. Normally its better as the season goes on.

Opener was good to us but yesterday was dead. Nothing flying to speak of. No early diver flocks or mid-morning flights. Almost no shooting, maybe with more pressure on the weekend they will move.

This is the weekend for pressure, everybody with a dog will be out chasing Roosters. With a bit of paitence every slough will have someone walking around it putting up ducks, why, in search of the wily Rooster. Ducks should be moving all day. I know of several bow hunters who will sit all weekend because of the pheasant hunters moving deer. The nice thing about it, is I'm on days off, no work until Monday night, time to work on camp meat, duck soup and pheasant parmesean. Good luck to all and be safe and kind to your fellow hunters.

One thing I noticed on christina is that the weeds are gone this year. alst year the weeds were thick all the way out and i mean thick. This year 30 yards out and they stop. I think that could harm the ducks out there for feeding becuase thats why they come is to feed on those underwater weeds. I know we had a poor opening weekend out there it was bad.