• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Retractable Leashes and Sporting Breeds

Scott M

Just wondering what others thoughts are with retractable leashes and sporting breeds. My wife and I are butting heads on using them. I'm sick of the dog running out and pulling me around. I think walks are an opportunity to establish more control/dominance and teaching the heel command. She thinks walks are a vacation from training. It's driving me nuts because I think its undermining other training.

Am I wrong here or what? Maybe I'm asking a biased audience but I have to think that if I want her to be worth a darn in the field she needs to be on good behavior all the time, including walks.

You're right. There should never be a break from training and obedience. You say sit, the dog sits. You say heel, the dog heels. Don't confuse the pooch by being inconsistent. I want my dog to listen and obey all the time,not just when training is in session.

Skip the retractable and get a prong collar. You'll enjoy walking the dog again. It used to be my kids could not take our dog for a walk. With a prong collar they can.

You are absolutely right.

I used a 25ft leash everyday for training, it was my check cord. I used it for my finishing skills with the force fetch. I also used it to make sure he was in the exact heel position I wanted when he was a pup and now it is never needed. However, I would never use it while on a walk.

I second the Pinch collar. The dog should always be under control. Retractable collars to me are dangerous things. If while walking the dog what happens if you encounter another dog who might be dog agressive. Plus if your in an urban or suburban area keep other people in mind that just might not like dogs running 20 feet into their yard. Keep your animals safe and close to help avoid harm. The added bonus is the trust in your animal allows him/her to go more places instead of being left at home. The dog is happy just being out and about with its owners.

Just my .02

FnF

I feel your dog should not be pulling on you, but I also know a pointing breed needs sometime to be independent or they might not think for themselves when hunting. I have seen it where a dog was always at heel when with its owner during the off season and then come time to hunt the owner wandered why he stay by him and wasn't out searching cover on its own. I would recommend that if you work heel hard that you try to get him in grass once or twice a week to avoid a dog walking on your heels when hunting. You can always use a check cord and e collar to bring in a big running dog, but neither of them will work to get a dog to move out from your side.

Just something to think about, Ben

I recommend the "Halti" collar. It slips around the dogs snout like a muzzle but allows the dog to open its mouth to breath. The advantage of the Halti is that it turns the dogs head when it roams out from the heel position which in turn stops the dogs forward momentum. The collar does take a little getting use to for the dog but is a great way to reinforce without any discomfort.

I have a short leash for obiedience training, you have way more controll. The retractable is all right for letting your dog get some smelling in,and you dont have to get into the brush and grass. But be ready if the dog gets a running start, they can pull your arm out of its socket.