• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vex & Marcum & laketrout & salmon

fearnotrout

All the posts about these flashers focus on walleye and perch,does anyone use these for laketrout and or salmon thru the ice and or open water? I've been having alot of trouble with graphs , went thru 3 new ones last spring . One had a bad transducer and the others had water penetration after using less than a week. I fish in the rain in an open boat but i thought these were waterproof.

Fished lake trout through the ice for the first time ever this year and caught 3 nothing huge largest was 25" but thoroughly enjoyed watching them hit on the LX-3. I didn't fish deeper than 50' but as usual my unit performed great. I thought lake trout would hit large baits predominantly but caught all on a size 6 Frostee jig fishing for perch.

If you fish lakers shallower than 160' I would go with the Marcum LX-3. If you go deeper than that go with the Vex. FL-18 wich goes to 300'.
Next years model LX-3 will probably have a deeper mode to it as well as a longer ducer cord.

I used the good old vexilar fl8 all during this past winter and i did fine. I didn't go deeper than 50 feet so maybe the marcum would be better, but the vex worked great for me.
><>deadeye