• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HELP!

chiroeye

Hey guys, really in a pickle here, and need some help. I am organizing an ice fishing trip for a group of guys this weekend and my reservations in Nestor Falls fell through. The guy the plows the road and rents shacks out on LOW called me up today and says that the ice is no good and that we cant come up this weekend. We've had this trip planned for awhile and now we dont know what to do? We really want to go north somewhere, but now were focusing our attention on Minnesota or Wisconsin. There are four of us and we dont have ATV's or snowmobiles so were pretty limited in what we can do. We are looking for someone that rents shacks on the ice and has some way for us to get to these shacks. We are also looking for something reasonably priced. We like fishing for crappie, walleye, and northern. Any last minute help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, in Minnesota, Walleye and Northern season is closed. You can still fish panfish and perch, though...

You may have a tough time finding something that fits your criteria. I know that a couple of the resorts on Winnie were starting to pull their houses off last weekend...

You could try Winnie, maybe Red Lake...that would be my best suggestion right now. Take a look on the resort locator on this site...

You could try calling every resort in the book up at LOTW and see if anyone had a last minute cancellation. Here you can still fish northerns and walleyes as I am sure you already knew. That's where I'll be this weekend starting Thursday. I know everything is pretty much booked solid though. And with the Ice Leaders Championship up there this weekend there will be a lot of people. Good Luck is about all I can say at this point. You just never know at this time of the year if your plans will actually pan out or not because no one can judge the Spring weather especially a few months out.

It might be too early, but call up to the Walleye Inn in Baudette and see if the Rainy River is open to fish. If so, consider skipping the ice and get your boats ready (if you have them). In 2000 Winnie ice was too sketchy inm March and we tried this, and caught more wallayes than we could count.

if the weather is decent, go the winnie/ red combo. we do it every year and its a blast.. We bring grills and coolers and the like. I know its not what your intentions were, but you dont have much choice. (507 362-8921 if you need help with places to stay. We are going to low/red/winnie this weekend. Joe

just to let ya know a couple of friends of mine are fishing out of gibbins on lake of the woods today you can get ahold of him and see if he has any openings gibbinsicefishing.com