• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tire chains

I used the cable type chains in colorado elk hunting and they do make a heck of a difference. Put them on the front tires of the 4X4 Silverado and felt there was drastic improvement in the off road heavy snow conditions we hunted in.

My father hardly ever owned a 4x4 and used chains on his two wheel wonder. I have to say that I was impressed many times how far he could go through deeper snow and unplowed roads in the North dakota back country.

Yes, you can get stuck bad with them but that also holds true for a 4X4 too.

One thing with using chains is even though they are tight at first, they will stretch/loosen. Mud flaps, inner fenders, wheel well moldings, even the body can be damaged when used in tough situations. Just and FYI.

I have used chains on Mille Lacs for moving my shack several years back on an 87 F-150 manual.

Since then, I have never needed chains. 4 low has worked great. Personally, I would not risk using them every time on a nice new vehicle when I ice fish. Now moving a big shack across country, I would put some on.

Good luck!

If you have a year with quite abit of snow and you like to get away from the crowd they are worth it. I have never seen a vehicle go through so much snow is when we had them on, pushing snow with the front and all. When you do get stuck, and you will cause you always have to see how much you can actually go through, you end up hung up off the ice and have shovel out the undercarriage. And take this from experience dont spin them into the ice when you do get stuck, nearly impossible to get out then without a pull. Make sure you have a shovel with cause where you go no one will be able to get to you for a pull.