• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help for a co-worker

DTro

Last year I assisted a co-worker in purchasing his first boat. He ended buying a small 14' with an 18hp merc (mid to late 80's model).

I went through all the winterizing with him and all was well for most of this year.

The other day he tells me that it's not running right at all. So I went over the obvious stuff with him. Still no good.

He hired a guy off hsolist that will come to your place and work on marine engines.

This guy ended up rebuilding the carb and also noticed a banged up prop, so he had that rebuilt as well. That was $250 total.

Not sure about the pricing on that but anyways..........

He took it out the other day and the same problem exists.

It starts up perfect, but when he opens the throttle, it misses bad, pops, spits, sputters. Then if he opens it up fully it catches and runs ok.

He called the guy back up and this guys says, "well, it might be the fuel pump".

I don't want to get too involved, but I told him I would try to get some suggestions for him.

Thanks

That's part of the problem with Craig's List, you don't know what you're gonna get. Guy shoulda gone out and tested it. I would think he should charge less to put a fuel pump in. On the bright side, he did get a carb rebuilt and that never hurts. I've had bad mechanics that didn't backup their work, then I've had awesome ones. Kinda hit or miss.

It starts up perfect, but when he opens the throttle, it misses bad, pops, spits, sputters. Then if he opens it up fully it catches and runs ok.

What does this mean? When he gives it a little gas it misses.....but when running wide open it runs good?

If the guy did rebuild the carb, it could be something with the ignition. I had a similar issue with an 85 Merc 20hp.....motor would start easy but after idling a little it would start to miss. Ran great at WOT. I replaced the coils and that solved my issue. Not sure this sounds like the same thing.

Rebuilding the carb should take care of any "fuel pump" issues. There is no actual mechanical fuel pump on the mid 80's 18/20/25hp Mercs.....it's all a part of the carb.

Has he run it with the cover off and noticed what is happening in the fuel bowl (is it running dry)? Has he checked the fuel filter? Gas lines all good with no air leaks? Gas tank breather open.....I know some basic stuff....but all things I have seen cause issues on the mid 80's Merc we have.

Did he get the old parts back from the carb rebuild? Have you checked the compression by chance.

Have him pull the choke when he runs the throttle up and see what happens - if it picks up it's a fuel restriction issue, and there for something in the carb yet.

If they guy did a good job cleaning the carbs it sure sounds like an ignition problem then.

marine_man

So, is this "expert" going to keep replacing parts and rebuilding components until he finds the solution? Maybe too late now but I'd be inclined to push some kind of warranty in this situation. He obviously either mis-diagnosed the problem or failed to do a good job and I'd certainly try to hold him to it but like I said, it may be a little too late now that the process has begun.

Bob

Here's an update, be brought it in (not sure if R&R or not). They rebuilt the carbs and she's running good.

He's not too happy about paying for a phantom rebuild the first time though mad