• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leaking Bladder?

Rip_Some_Lip

My 2 1/2 year old spayed female Springer seems to have a leaking bladder. Quite often when she sleeps, she will pee while sleeping and her back end gets wet as well as the floor or pillow. Has anyone heard of something like this? I had her to the vet a few weeks back and he gave us some antibiotics in case it was a urinary infection. She has been off the antibiotics for a good week now and it is continuing. I did notice that she doesnt act like it bothers her while going in the yard like it did before. I would like to get this resolved or it will be a cold winter for her living outside this winter instead of staying inside. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I called the vet and explained it to him. He basically said the same thing about hormone pills. He said it would have to be given the rest of her life. He said it was more common in older dogs. Hopefully they aren't too spendy.

I am having the same problem with my 2.5 year old lab. They said the pills were relatively inexpensive (approx. $60 for 4 months worth).

During the urinalysis, they found some crystals so they believe she has bladder stones. Anyone has experience with this?

During the urinalysis, they found some crystals so they believe she has bladder stones. Anyone has experience with this?

Not with a dog, but with the wife's cat. It got real spendy real quick when one of those stones blocked the flow of urine. Now the cat has to be on a special maintenance food.

I would assume they may have given you pills to deal with the crystals....and possibly recommended a food change? If so were you feeding a quality food?

They have not given us pills to deal with the crystals. They recommended having some sort of X-ray (don't remember exactly what the vet called it) that would cost $92 to see if my pooch has bladder stones.

I have been feeding her Nutro Max Large Breed Adult. I have had good results with that food so far. Would this be considered a quality food?

I guess I really don't want to comment on the food as that will probably just send the this off topic....but there are better foods out there IMO. They do cost more though. I don't know if the food would cause that, but I suspect in some dogs it's certainly possible. I know for the cat that we needed to go off the cheap food we were feeding to a maintenance food which obviously costs more. The other cats did fine on the cheap food....but not this one. The can't feed the food we were feeding because the stones could come back. Probably something genetic with that cat.....could be similar with certain dogs.

I would just follow whatever the vet recommends as far as how to proceed. Sometimes a change in diet is needed to help reduce/remove that crystals/stones but your vet should make that determination as they know exactly what is going on with your dog.

The one thing I know....you don't want to have a blockage...so I would make sure your dog does not have them and if he/she does make sure they are dealt with.

Rip Some Lip,

The pills are not to bad. I have to give them to our 1 female brittnay. You have to get them from the Vet. People pharmacies can no longer carry them. It is about $60/ year for the pills.

Thanks for the replies, I haven't noticed the problem the last several days, although she hasn't been in the house much either. I have been checking her pillow in her doghouse lately and haven't seen any wet spots. Hopefully it was just a lingering symptom from the infection.

Glad to hear your dog is doing better.We have a 7mo old female lab who leaks constantly,she's mostly outdoors but needs a diaper indoors.We had her on 2 cycles of antibiotics and it didn't fix her, so last week we brought her down to the Uof M and she was diagnosed w/ ectropic urueter or dialeted uretha "aka" plumbing is to large. It sounds like its a very expensive fix w/ 20% success that will prolly still require lifelong medication. Huge bummer:-(

redhooks

My female started having the same incontinence issues while sleeping at age three. The vet said the same thing that this happens sometimes at this age to spayed females. The low-dose estrogen (25 mg) has worked great. If she goes a day without it, she will leak while sleeping.