• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swimming inside my portable!

Blaze

I've got a small problem, guys, and I'm looking for your suggestions on how to cure the situation.

I have a Fishtrap Voyageur and I heat it with a Mr Heater Cooker. The heater sits on the ice and does a great job - the only problem is that after running the Cooker for a while, I start getting a mini-Lake Superior on the ice inside my shelter, even on low setting.

Do you guys set your heaters on a rug or anything to insulate the ice from direct heat? What works and what doesn't? I tried cardboard once, but that didn't help squat. The only advantage is that I have a sort of "livewell" on the ice! tongue.gif

Thanks in advance.

Signed,
Swimming in my Shelter smile.gif

i ALSO HAVE VOYAGER, I USE A DOUBLE BURNER MR. HEATER MOUNTED ON A STAND THAT I MADE OUT OF STEEL AND THE TANK SITS OUSTIDE. I HAVE NEVER REALLY HAD A PROBLEM WITH AN INDOOR LAKE, BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND TO YOU TO TRY AND GET YOUR HEATER UP OFF THE ICE AT LEAST A FOOT. YOU MAY LOSE SOME HEAT TO THE TOES, BUT AT LEAST YOU WON'T HAVE TO WEAR A SWIM SUIT. BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY THAT THE ICE GETS VERY SLIPPERY WITH AN INCH OF WATER SITTING ON TOP OF IT. JUST MY 2 CENTS

i ALSO HAVE VOYAGER, I USE A DOUBLE BURNER MR. HEATER MOUNTED ON A STAND THAT I MADE OUT OF STEEL AND THE TANK SITS OUSTIDE. I HAVE NEVER REALLY HAD A PROBLEM WITH AN INDOOR LAKE, BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND TO YOU TO TRY AND GET YOUR HEATER UP OFF THE ICE AT LEAST A FOOT. YOU MAY LOSE SOME HEAT TO THE TOES, BUT AT LEAST YOU WON'T HAVE TO WEAR A SWIM SUIT. BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY THAT THE ICE GETS VERY SLIPPERY WITH AN INCH OF WATER SITTING ON TOP OF IT. JUST MY 2 CENTS

yep i do agree with all of you that this is a problem for most of us guys . for me maybe more so than most , i use 2 paulin heater/cookers. most peolpe who fish with me come with way to many clothes on grin.gif..i also carry to much gear to add anything that mentioned above . my soultions? watch the area close to the Lx3, never seems to melt to much around or under it . wear good boots to keep feet dry and warm . last i wear ice cleats the whole time . i found the a set with small replaceable carbide tips wink.gif

I usually use a sunflower on a 20# tank. I use a piece of carpeting that sits between the base of the Magnum sled and my holes. There is some melting of snow, but it is not excessive. The carpet will get saturated with snow and some freezing water, but it serves as a floor and adds some insulating for the boots. I hang it up inside when I get home.

I quit using a heater cooker because of the melting snow. The only time I drag the cooker out is when it time for a hot lunch.

I also have a Clam Voyegeur and heat with a Sunflower heater. I went to Menards and bought a couple of sections of rubber mats such as you would use near an entry door of your house. It has holes in it and I cut them to fit right in front of my sled seats, also one up the middle to the door. They are non slip and when I tear down they will lay nicely in the bottom of the sled. The ones in front of the chairs I stick just under the front edge which helps to keep the sled in place without slipping and sliding if there is no snow on the ice. It has accomplished two things, non slip exit, entry and also keeps your feet from direct contact with the ice. Bill

Swamp Scooter's got it I use a couple of door mats from the local hardware store. About an 1" thick rubber . they roll up uot of the way when not in use. Still get some water but not even close to what I had.

maybe raisging front o would give better use of the heat on those long cold days. also i should mention that i like the extra heat mainly case of carpull(sp)tunnel syndrome i have . in the cold i have trouble feeling those light biters . i also have spent a few 24 plus hour trips in -27 temps useing truck as wind block.

I'm still looking for a better solution, so maybe someone will post it.

I've taken a piece of plywood, about 1/2 or 5/8 (not sure thickness really matters), it's about the length of the otter sled so it fits alongside or under my gear. When I set up the house, I put the Mr. Heater/cooker on top of the board, which runs perpendicular to the sled (from the door to the sled). This seems to reduce the melting effect, although not entirely. The board also serves as a good foothold when you need to stand up.

I've tried the rubber mats, and they work to a limited degree. The problem I've found with 'em, is they will start to slide around on the ice--which can be even more dangerous than without them.

As mentioned in a previous post, ice cleats work well in all cases.

Cashcrews

Here's my solution, as I got tired of wet rugs that froze solid between set-ups. I took 4'X4' 1/4" underlayment (plywood), cut it into 4-1' lengths, coated them well with water sealant, glued strips of all-weather carpet to one side of each piece and fasten them together with strap hinges so they fold up like an accordion. The water seal keeps the snow from sticking to them as well as preserves the wood, and they fold up almost flat so they fit in my Otter sled on top of my gear and under the cover.

I take a piece of plywood that can be as big as you want.But put a bunch of crushed beer cans under it.I can always find them but anyway it keeps the plywood off the ice a 1or11/2 off the ice which seems to do the trick the ice doesnt seem to melt.