• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snap Weight Trolling...

I don't believe there is a way to accurately figure out how deep you are getting on the 50/50 method in terms of an formula or a depth curve chart. The only thing you could do would be the sand test which is to go to an area that you know how deep it is and keep moving deeper until you start hitting bottom at which point you know how deep it will run. You want to find an area with fairly consent depth without weeds and rocks that will help you determine how deep you are running.

Hope this helps.

I'm away from home this weekend and don't have my book with me so I can't look it up, but the Precision Trolling book should give you the info for 2.5 mph and the 2 oz snap weight.

I'd think the fireline would run slightly deeper than the 10 lb mono, less diameter will get you more depth doesn't matter whether you're using snap weights or not. So use that info for starters.

Then look at what 50 feet of fireline gets you with a #5 shaprap (probably 5 feet??) I think you could add the two together, ie. the snap weight will get you some depth and the shad rap will get you a little more depth.

Hope that helps

You could calc it - basic geometry if you can estimate the angle of the line. At 45 degree angle snap weight would be about 30 ft down ("a" squared + "b" squared = "c" squared less line needed to hit waterline). To that add diving depth of shad rap with 50ft out. Line angle at 2.5mph is probably more like 22 degrees cutting depth roughly in half. I'd guess right around 20ft. The only sure way is to check it using a known depth like Mille Lacs Guy said. My personal experience in lakes is that 20ft range estimate is a good one.

Thanks for the input gang. Yes, Precision Trolling has some good information. Basically, when using a 1-oz. snap weight, plan on a 33% increase in depth when clipped 20' above any given lure at 2.0 mph.

EX: #5 Shad Rap, 100' back on 10/4 Fireline typically runs ~10 - 11' at 2.0 mph. Add a 1-oz. snap weight 20' above the lure and you'll get to 13 - 15'.

And so a 2-oz. snap weight would probably get you to the 17 - 20' range, in theory.

I'm going to have some time on my hands this weekend on a family vacation and I thought this may be something fun to play around with out in the basins. Funny thing is what that I was hoping someone had already done the "dirty work". Ha!

I have had good luck running 30' out, snap weight then let line out till weight hits bottom, give it another 15-20' to allow for lift and go with that. I haven't run weights in a few years now since switching to leadcore. Of course I am also fishing a lake with a 21' mx depth and targeting the bottom 2-3' in the basin.

TO- Have you found that 10/4 Fireline allows that much more depth from your lures. I run 15lb Calcutta braid right now and can't ever hit 10-11' with a #5, 9' is about the max, even with 200'+ of line out. There isn't that much of a differnce in line diameter so I think it would come down to shape, fireline is a bit flatter than this Calcutta, so maybe that is the differnce?

I can't give you a specific answer between Fireline and Calcutta, but I will tell you that without question thinner diameter lines will get you more depth, in some cases noticably more.

I think TO likes Fireline Crystal, which is rounder and not flatter like the older Fireline. I'd think the flatter sides would limit to a small degree some of the extra depth you could be getting.

Also, make sure your crankbaits are 100% in tune in order to achieve their maximum depth, being even a little out of tune will easily cost you 2-3 feet, sometimes 5, even more if they're deep divers and way out of tune.

10/4 Fireline and/or Fireline Crystal and a tuned crank bait will get you optimal depth control at any given speed. Other super lines at similar line diameter will do the same. For example, in my boat, 100' back with a #5 Shad Rap is digging bottom in 10' at 2.5 mph...

Scenario:

If I'm driving the boat 2.5 mph and am trolling the 50/50 method with a 2 oz. snap weight, 10/4 Fireline and a #5 Shad Rap, how deep is the Shad Rap running?

A 2oz snap weight (with spinner) at 2MPH runs 15-19 feet and 23-27 feet at 1 MPH. Again, this is with 10 lb mono. A spinner or stickbait run about 2 feet deeper.

Using the 50/50 method would you consider the diving crankbait to be 100' out or 50'? There is only 2 feet of depth difference between the two on this model but it brings up a good question that Precision Trolling dosen't really cover.

Pulled in a 27.5"er last night from 30 feet of water over 48 feet. Deep diving plug 50 feet behind a 2 oz snap weight with another 100 feet of line out. Some of the biggest fish in the system are suspended right now and catchable.