• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

blower fan does not work / air bag light stays on

We have a 91 Dodge Spirit and the blower fan will not work. When the fan switch is on, the air bag light comes on, and also the brake light comes on.

All of this happened about a month after I switched out the ignition switch. The original cylinder broke and I got a different one from the salvage yard. Several things I found on the internet pointed to the ignition switch. I went and tried 2 more from the salvage yard and they both did similar things, but not always the same(one the brake light would come on, the other the air bag light would come on). The blower fan would not work on any of the switches.

Any ideas on what to do? I have thought about buying a brand new ignition switch. It has the lighted switch now, can I get the non-lighted one? The non lighted switch is $40 less.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

It sounds to me, since you can change the problems, by replacing switches, that it is either in the switch, or in the connector or wiring that is moved when replacing the switch. I would make sure you have the correct switch for your car, look at the connector good, wiggle wires around and see if something starts or stops working while wiggling the harness to the switch.

I would have to say you are talking about the ignition tumbler? Or are you talking the ignition switch down at the bottom of the column?

Man, I can not remember running into anything like this on a Spirit before.

I do not think the blower motor wiring is run threw the tumbler, but stranger things could happen. I am thinking a pinched wire of sorts, grounding out the blower and abs system.

Have you checked for blown fuses yet?

I think the tang would break in the switch on these but it would be good to get some clarification. The key and tumbler is the part that allows control of the ignition switch and is typically a non electrical (or mechanical) part. The ignition switch is the part that allows various functions to operate with the key in various positions.

It sounded to me like you may be getting the wrong ignition switches. I would have to look at a diagram to see if there is a connection between the three.

I did replace the key/tumbler and the switch as 1 unit. I did check the wires for being loose as best I could, and I also checked the fuses.

I have checked for new switches on the internet andf it looks like there is only one to choose from.

If i get a new key/tumbler, can I get it without the lighted back, or do I need to heep it the same?

Also is there anything in the steering column that might not be in the right position after changing the ignition switch?

The two wires that are of concern out of the ignition switch are the black with orange and grey with black. The black with orange supplies power to fuses 9, 10, and 11. 9 is the fuse for the blower motor. That wire should be hot in the run posistion only. the grey with black supplies power to the brake and abs warning switch, park brake switch, and the inst. cluster. It should only have power in the start position.

Is it possible that the E-brake is on and you burnt out the #9 fuse while installing the switches?

I checked all the fuses, and the ebrake was never used. It is actually the air bag light that stays on when the blower switch is turned on. I was not thinking when I added this post.

Do you have power at the fuses? Its time to dig out a test light or multi meter to see whats actually getting or not getting power. I believe the blower motor is ground side controlled so it should have power to it all the time. the switch supplies the ground after the power goes through the blower and resistor. The other thought is there is a grounding issue that may or may not be related to the replacement of the ignition switch. If you have a good understanding of how electricity works and automotive wiring this will be no problem. If you have a basic understanding it can be a lot harder!

Try taking a look at the blower motor resistor, may be located behind wws resevoir bottle or there abouts. I did a little research and someone else had a similar problem and that is where they found the problem.